News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bashing the 2-6-6-2

Started by ksivils, August 16, 2009, 08:58:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ksivils

Has anyone given any thought on how they plan to modify the 2-6-6-2 they obtain?

I plan to put a big sand box on the front pilot deck.  This is in keeping with my swamp logging branch and, dare I say it, my favorite (horrors) standard gauge locomotive is the might Norfolk & Western Y-6b, and favorite narrow gauge articulated locomotive, the Uintah/Sumpter Valley 2-6-6-2.  They had "stuff" on their pilot decks as well.

Other than some tool boxes and hoses for siphoning water, that is about all I have planned for mine.

The only other major change will be moving the couplers to On3 coupler height.  I might even experiment with the newly announced On3 couplers from San Juan Car Company.

Does anyone have some more radical "bashes" planned? Share your ideas with us please!

caddy54

hi gang,have checked out the 2-6-6-2,as to kit bashing to on30. for those of you who have one,compare the ho loco to the on30  2-8-0. it is almost a perfect match .should not be difficult to achieve a creditable loco using this source of body. can anyone advise on the steps needed to remove the ho body,to start the conversion. regards graeme

Ken

Graeme

Guessing you are refering to the HO 2-6-6-2, I removed the body off mine
last night.

Remove Sand dome (center one)and then remove screw under it.

Pull out the Handrails on rear of cab, cab should fall off (mine did)

There is a small hook behind the smokebox, to hold front of shell,
  lifting from rear should unlatch this, if not smokebox front will be needed to
  be removed. (I had removed it earlier so not sure)

As I plan some major surgery on my conversion. Just in the process
  of labeling wiring for cutting, so I get it back together correctly.
  Definitly voids the Bachmann Warrenty!. <G>

Ken Clark
       GWN