News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

ON30 PULPWOOD CAR

Started by gscalerr, August 25, 2009, 05:48:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gscalerr

ON30 PULPWOOD CAR my pulpwoou cars are somewhat wobbly and jump the track. Is there a fix?

NKline

Yes, take the one truck off and take the black plastic adapter piece and file the smaller diameter end from the top down until the top of that end is just below the bottom of the truck bolster when fit through the hole in the truck bolster, then replace the adapter and truck and tighten the screw just until it is very slightly hand tight then back the screw off until the truck just barely swivels freely, after that make sure the other truck can swivel and flex all directions easily and then this should stop the wobbling and keep your pulpwood car(s) on the track.

-Nathan

gscalerr

Thanks for your help. I must give it a try.Ross

gscalerr

Thank you it seems to work. I just did the one truck.

railtwister

Quote from: gscalerr on August 25, 2009, 05:48:52 PM
ON30 PULPWOOD CAR my pulpwood cars are somewhat wobbly and jump the track. Is there a fix?

The Bachmann On30 pulp cars use the low profile archbar trucks, which have an ever-so-slightly undersized hole for the mounting screw, and it's walls are tapered to facilitate removal from the die once it is molded. You can drill the hole out carefully, using a drill that is slightly larger, or you can use an Xacto kife with a #11 blade to ream the tapered hole slightly from the top side of the bolster. While you are doing this, also make a small chamfer around the top edge of the hole. The chamfer will accommodate the slight radius at the base of the bolster spacer bushing, which should eliminate any rocking. Without enlarging the hole in the bolster slightly, the bolster can't bottom out on the bushing, and tightening the bolster screw to force it to do so will result in a truck that binds when it tries to pivot, causing it to jump the track at a curve. This trick applies to any of the cars that you have added the low profile frames and low archbar trucks to in order to get the hunkered down look of the Maine Two Footers.

Good Luck, Bill