News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Upgrading DDA40X Couplers?

Started by C855B, August 25, 2009, 01:13:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

C855B

Aside from easily-fixable spot details for us rivet-counters, the new Centennial looks great. (We'll overlook the swiveling pilots for this discussion.  ;D  )

But let's talk couplers... yeah, they work, sort of, but for dummies they're clunky, not automatic, and don't want to pull more than 20-25 cars without decoupling. Anybody here tried to retrofit anything, especially Micro-Trains? A quick look to assess how to accomplish this was seriously discouraging.

davidone

I have looked at the couplers and i can say that i am stumped on what coupler if any will fit. It seems this is going to be a custom build to fit a MTL coupler. If anybody comes up with a solution please post it so us DD40AX's can have a good looking and operating coupler. I also agree C855B that the unit is not as bad as some people are making it out to be. I think for a street price of around $75.00 and some of my effort i can make it into a nice addition to my UP fleet.

Dave

C855B

Yeah, I don't understand all the ragging on this model. As you know I spend a bit of time around the real thing, and as mass-produced models go this new edition is pretty good. I spent yesterday evening taking it (the model ;D ) apart to look at the potential for eventual motor replacement, and was impressed at every step about how fine the detail is and the sheer effort clearly taken to make things look crisp. The separately-applied grabs on the nose are a shocker, for sure. Definitely a far, far cry from the toy dimensions and "paraphrases" of the first two editions.

Eventually, I will differ "over there" with all the complaints about the trucks. The detail depth on the prototype Flexicoils is moderately subtle, and not anything like the exaggerations done before. I think the profile dimensions aren't that far off, it's just that the bright silver paint makes them look too soft. If I have a chance to get over to the museum in the next couple of weeks I will make it a point to take a pic or two to put side to side with old and new versions.

davidone

I have only seen them in pictures and being a UP fan a DD40AX was a must have when announced by Bachmann. I don't think you will see anybody else make this unit anytime soon. I picked my units yesterday at the  LHS and i was expecting something on the order of frankenstein after reading all the posts about this unit on some other forums. But to say the least i am very happy, not perfect but with some work and detailing i'll be very happy. I thought the trucks would be a big glob of molten metal according to the experts but they are not that bad, with some fine tuning and weathering they will look great.  It just goes to show never beleive what you read on those forums, look at the item yourself and then make your decision. Btw one poster lamented the fact the the front pilot looked sparten, HELLO, have they ever seen the real thing!!!! 

Dave

herc driver

I've tried some spare Kato couplers - they wouldn't work.  I tried Atlas couplers - they wouldn't work.  I tried some MicroTrains couplers - and they didn't work either.   So I'm hoping that MT sees the profit in making a specific coupler for this engine. 

squeaky_d

I must give Bachmann their props on this beauty.    I compared just for fun an old Bachmann Plus DD40 with the new one.   I must say the new one is a far cry from the older one.     Way to go Bachmann!!!! 

C855B

BTW, I figured-out the problem that so many are having with the trucks - the detail itself is pretty good, but the brakes "layer" is not very deep - certainly not deep enough. So the brake shoes and hangers have the appearance of being virtually in the same plane with the sideframes.

Two solutions - paint the brake parts black/grimy (like they are in real life), or cut them out entirely. Makes me wish that I picked-up that pair of loose Overland DD trucks on eBay a couple of weeks ago to modify and use as masters for something a little better in resin.