News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

DCC Turnouts

Started by Reinhard S, August 29, 2009, 09:47:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reinhard S

I need some expert advice concerning the Bachmann DCC turnouts.  I have a modest 4 X 8 layout with 10 of these turnouts (2 are doubled-up) powered by an EZ Command.  While running a train and switching a turnout at the same time the train loses noticable power.  Could anybody advice me on how to fix this problem?  Could any damage be inflicted to either the locomotive, EZ Command unit, or the turnouts?

Cheers

Reinhard

Jim Banner

Either the  power is being lost somewhere along the way or you do not have enough power to start with.  If throwing a switch only affects the train speed when the train is at the far end of the layout, you may be able to cure the problem by adding more track feeders.  If it occurs independent of where the train is on the layout, check the size and length of the wire from your command station to the track.  If you had to extend the length of this wire when you installed it, the wire size may be too small.  If not, then you probably do not have enough power available to both run the train and throw the switches.  In that case, a booster would cure the problem.

The momentary drop in voltage when throwing a switch will not hurt either the switch or the train, as long as the switch throws all the way.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.