News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Engine running slow

Started by Jason05216, August 30, 2009, 12:55:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason05216

I bought a small set, Thunderbolt, for my son and after about 6 hours of running the engine is running slower than it did at first. This started after the train derailed and was stuck for a bit. He had moved over to the slot cars and didn't put it back on the rails.I read about lubing the engine but wasn't sure if anything else might cause this.

The engine is an EMD GP40 Diesel.

Thanks

simkon

The track or the engine could need cleaning, but you shouldn't need to run it at 100% throttle or whatever it equates to in scale mph.

Cody J

I am only 13 years of age and this may be the first time I have answered a question on this thread due to not much experience.
Anyway, my first train set was the Thunderbolt and the GP40 is a piece of crap. It ran for only a month until it broke completely and I settled for an ATSF B23-7 which runs extremely well. So the GP40 is not built well and I would advise anybody not to buy the Thunderbolt.

cody
CSX Mt. Storm Subdivision- Freemont, West Virginia

http://s277.photobucket.com/albums/kk49/trainsrock96/

Jason05216

Thanks for the input. I realize it doesn't need to run wide open but its gotten slower as the day has gone on and now is maybe only going 10% of what it was when first got it. Tried cleaning the track with no results and am in the process of cleaning the engine.

Cody--Thanks for the input on the Thunderbolt. Unfortunately a little late for me on purchasing this one. I just want to make this work for now so my 5 yr old doesn't lose interest. He was really excited to move to something besides the wooden Thomas set.

simkon

Quote from: Jason05216 on August 30, 2009, 12:55:45 PM
the train derailed and was stuck for a bit
So, I have a couple questions for you... Was the engine still running when it was stuck? How long was the train stuck for? And lastly, what was the speed set at when it got stuck? You could have burned up the motor if it was "stuck" for any prolonged period of time the faster it was going usually the worse off it'll end up being. So if the engine was stuck for more than say 20 minutes...that could be your problem.

Jason05216

May have been stuck for a while, not sure the length of time. I was getting ready for church and he was playing with the train. Yes, the engine was running on about 70 on the controller. I wondered if the motor being damaged may be a possibility. It won't go in reverse now.

Is it worth replacing the motor or should I just get another engine?

Thanks.

pdlethbridge

simkon

Well, since you voided the warranty, no point in sending it in, and a motor is pretty much the same price as the whole thing, so I would buy another. This time you may want to monitor it so that doesn't happen again, or make sure your track is laid flawlessly and all the rolling stock is flawless, and the loco is flawless...then it won't get stuck or derail. I would guess your motor is probably pretty screwed up, especially since it won't run in reverse.

Jason05216

Flawless... Not likely I'd say, especially with a small child involved. I'll just get another one and mark this up as a lesson learned.

Since it won't matter if it doesn't go quite right is there an easy way to get this engine opened up?

Thanks for taking the time and the input.

Pacific Northern

Phone the service department.

I do not think you would have voided the warranty.
Pacific Northern