News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

New C&O 2-6-6-2

Started by GN.2-6-8-0, July 22, 2009, 10:31:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ryeguyisme

when the economy does better and I'm not just trying to "get by" i will most likey purchase a few of these :D

robman

HI all. Sorry to come onto this thread so late but I also had trouble with my 2-6-6-2 with, among other faults, a similar problem that Lee seems to be having. Some of you may recall that I found the fault in the worm drive on the front drive set where the driven knuckle wasn't tight on the shaft and gave erratic drive to the front drive wheels. I only found this out by stalling the loco under load and holding onto the coupling until I had wheelspin. That is when it showed up because only the rears were driving under load, the fronts just stayed still. Once it was fixed,not an easy job but time and patience, the loco performed smoothly and a lot of the slack was gone from the drivers. The new one looks great and as I model a ficticous R.R. I will just have to have one. Hope this may be of some help. Cheers from over here, Rob. NZ
Modeling over there over here

BaltoOhioRRfan

Hmm mine dont seem to have a problem goin down hill, Can't wait to try and double head em goin down hill but layout is.....ehh, down......was attacked by a Dog Monster......haha.

I have two in B&O. Mihgt get a new one for use in C&O though i have 2 Allegheny's(3 if you include my B&O one)
Emily C.
BaltoOhioRRFan
B&O - America's #1 Railroad.

My Collection on FB - https://www.facebook.com/EmilysModelRailroad
My Collection on YouTube = https://www.youtube.com/user/BORRF

Steve J

Does anyone know who the manufacturer is of the sound decoder is in this latest release? 

GN.2-6-8-0

Quote from: Steve J on August 31, 2009, 01:55:55 PM
Does anyone know who the manufacturer is of the sound decoder is in this latest release? 
Bachmann was using a abreviated soundtrax tsunami with a fewer less sound options but thought i heard they might be changing to a full blown tsunami.
someone can correct me if this is wrong.
Rocky Lives

Pacific Northern

News to me, if you can substantiate that rumour let us know.

I think that Bachmann has a winner with their sound on board engines. I have a couple and they sound great.

I have some older BLI and there is no comparison, for the price (check on line sources) they are hard to beat.

Have you read the comparison of what was in the Bachmann version and the full fledged Tsunami line?  I can live with the Bachmann version for the price being charged.

Pacific Northern

Steve J

After posting my question I did a little more internet research and found some additional info on the 2-6-6-2 and the decoder from Peach Creek Shops. (http://www.peachcreekshops.com/)   

>What's new for July! Lots! - July 16, 2009
I just returned from the NMRA national convention in Hartford, CT. and I'll have to say that I had a good time.  <Snip>
The C&O H-4 2-6-6-2.
Everything I said about the N scale version is true about the HO scale version in spades. The H-4 differs considerably from the previously made H-5. A new tender, the correct 12/VC Vanderbilt with the C&O unique Andrews trucks with outside brake hangers; a new cab, with the more radiused roof , common to C&O; a completely new front end with the elongated smokebox door, dual air pumps with correct piping; and the large compound slide valve cylinders. One of the slickest things about this engine is the way the tender is set up for easy access to the decoder. Traditionally, Vanderbilt tenders are a pain to get into. Installing a sound decoder can be a real nightmare because you can't just take the bottom off the tender and gain access to the inside. But the guys at Bachmann did something very clever. Just pick up the tender and place you thumb on the front coal sheet and slide it upward. It comes out that easy. No clips, no glue. Then just slide out the coal load and you have easy access to the 'innards'. Slick. The DCC plug is right there in top. If you want to change from the stock Bachmann decoder to say, a Tsunami, the decoder will fit and you can drop the speaker in the tender tank. All in all, Bachmann did a great job. The photos do not do it justice.
BTW: If you are skeptical that the Bachmann version of the Tsunami sound decoder may not be as good as a full blown Tsunami, you might want to think again. What the Bachmann version lacks are: less whistle sounds, no input for a sound cam, and that's about it! Almost all of the other functionality of a full-blown Tsunami is available, AND you can do the programming using DecoderPro! You don't have to remember CV's!
John>

Steam is King

I definitely will be getting at least one of the painted, undecorated versions. That engine is sweet and I'm a sucker for Vanderbilt Tenders. Almost all my engines have them.