News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Kids Layout

Started by Jason05216, September 03, 2009, 10:52:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mf5117

After re-reading this post and looking at the layout you are interested in . it calls for 6" straight you will have to use 2 3" straights in it's place .i believe bachmann has 2.25 " 3" 4.5" and 9" to get the 2" straights we need at times you can buy a 90 degree crossover at which they come with 4 2" straights and the 90 cross . as for the 1.5" piece . you could cut one down ,but would be altering 3 pcs actually . On the thortrain sites there is a couple of web pages were the MARX layouts due use bachmann EZ track some similar to what you were looking at . I believe if you search 4x8 HO layouts you will find them . Then you can utilize the track you have ,and save some money .  No special wiring good for d/c or dcc use . I used a few of the layouts as i said before . But as i got into this hobby ,after awhile I just wasn't satisfied and wanted more . And now i don't have the House to go with the Hobby .

Daylight4449

A plan i am considering has your original plan worked into it but with an extra part, look, at the left side.

Terry Toenges

I think Bachmann is coming out with small fitter pieces.
Feel like a Mogul.

Jason05216

Wow...I was gone for the weekend and missed all the replies.

Not sure what the Marx layouts are? After looking at the thor site a little more I've decided to build one from this page:

http://www.thortrains.net/marx/funlayez1.html

Probably just start with the one on the upper left. Nevermind about the Marx thing, figured it out when I pasted the link. I had noticed that these were really close to the edge, may try to do a larger table for it. I had visions of engines and cars diving off the table. 

I'm using dc control now, do I need to do any special wiring on this layout? What is a good reference book for me to use to learn about wiring?

Jim...Thanks for the info about switches and turnouts.

Robertj668

Jason
I like the one that is second one down on the right as you can run 2 trains simultaneously and never have to worry about the bumping into each other.

As for the books I am not sure about DC. But Your local Hobby shop would have some good options. 

This recommendation always sparks good conversation.  But I would still rec comend Running DCC. Personally I have found it easier.  I have seat up many DC systems in the past and I was excited to make the switch.  To me it was an easy decision.  But many people love running Trains in DC. Jim always has great advice on this.

The one DCC book I like is the DCC Projects & Applications by Model Railroader. When we bought our 1st DCC Bachmann starter set it came with a great DVD. And actually I see that most of the scenes are available on youtube.  I can find the links and email them to you after I get home from work if you like.

You son will take to the DCC operation quickly I bet.

Enjoy

Robert

pdlethbridge

If you are going DC only, it would be wise to separate each section or block with plastic rail joiners thus insulating each section from another. I used to use DPDT center off switches so I could control the layout with two power packs. The DPDT switch has 6 contacts, 2 rows of 3. The left 2 would control the right power pack, the center 2 go to the track, and the right 2 would be for the left power pack. Each block or section would have its own DPDT switch, so if there are 12 blocks, there would be 12 switches.( and 72 wires)
If you control the layout with DCC, there would be no switches and on a layout as small as you suggest, only a few wires that connect to a Bus system that connects to your DCC system. As each locomotive has its own address, it could be turned on and off and sped up or slowed down by the DCC system independent from other locos even if they were on the same track. With DCC, you could even have your own corn field meet if you wanted. Turnouts can be controlled by DCC as well. I use the NCE power cab system and everything can be controlled by my hand held unit, locos, turn table, turnouts, etc.

Jason05216

Robert...I looked on youtube and wasn't sure which videos. Overload as usual. If you could send me the links that would be great. Thanks.

Jason05216

This is a little far afield of my original question, but I was wondering whether you guys thought I should buy my stuff from the local guy (who'll have to order everything in) or buy it online and save the money? Looks like I can save at least 25% ordering online. Best I can tell the local guy is putting the SRP on everything.

simkon

It depends on a few things...but from what you said, I would buy them online and save money, but be sure to buy fro m a legitimate Bachmann dealer-in case you have to send anything in for repairs...
Personally, I  buy most of my things from my LHS because I am good friends with the owner...he will usually give me a discount or even something for free, but if there is a big price difference, or if isn't otherwise available in my area, I will buy it on ebay or some other discount retailer, but I make sure they're legit first...just in case

mf5117

where it says 2 bachmann EZ track inch straight ,and doesn't give a size you will need a 2" straight . you can get them from a 90 degree crossing .

if you go dcc control you will have to do special wiring and can run multiple trains .

as for the MARX that is who designed the layouts . i built a couple of these layouts and they do work well .i just did some different things with the layout but was a good starting point for me

renniks

You do not require special wiring for DCC. In fact you do not need the block wiring and switches required in DC to run multiple trains under individual control.

Eric UK

jward

checkque out any of the atlas layout books. they should be in stock at any decent hobby shop. most are layout books but they also include basic wiring instructions, and basic scenery instructions as well. there is also a book dedicated to wiring in the series. even though i've been in model railroading for almost 40 years now, i still like to look at those books.

the latest editions include both dc and dcc wiring for each layout.

wiring for dc is not complicated, it consists of the same circuits replicated over and over. the 3 basic circuits are:

1. basic block wiring, whereby you can control a section of track.
2. reverse loop wiring, which is block wiring with a direction switch added.
3. switch motor wiring.

master those 3, and know when to use each, and you can wire the largest layout you can imagine.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

pdlethbridge

You will find as you shop around that Atlas makes the least expensive and most varied track and turnouts in their regular line of code 83 or 100. If you use track that has the roadbed on it the price is much higher. Regular track can be used if you put cork roadbed under it to match the height of the Bachmann track. Cork roadbed is cheap and when combined with the regular Atlas track, much cheaper than track with the roadbed preinstalled.