News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann EZ Track Turnouts

Started by lwmlwm44, September 08, 2009, 09:02:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lwmlwm44

I am currently using Bachmann DCC Turnouts on my bench,   there is a area on my bench where I want to use the regular turnouts and was wondering if they are compatible with a total DCC operation.   Do they get all their power from the track for operation or do they have to be connected to a transformer as alot of traditional automatic switches need to be.

I know on my DCC Command unit there are no places to attach accesssories for power that I am aware of.   

Also, I read where the Bachmann No.44561  is a 18 in. radius turn and the No.44565 is larger.........is it a 22 in. radius does anyone know.

Thanks

Larry

Jim Banner

"Regular" turnouts require a power source of about 12 to 16 volts, either ac or dc, rated at 1/2 amp or more.  You are right - there is no provision for this on DCC command stations.  You can either use an old power pack if you have one or a "wall wart" power supply.  You also need some electrical switches to apply the power to the switch motors only for a moment - if you power them continuously, they will burn out.  You can use similar power sources to power building lights and animation.

The 44561 is a constant radius turnout.  That means you can replace a piece of curved track with a turnout of the same radius.  To be precise, the straight route is equal to a piece of straight track (about 9 ") while the curved route is equal to a standard curve plus a 1-1/2" straight.  The 44565, on the other hand, is shaped more like a real turnout.  The greatest difference is that it has only straight track at the frog (where two rails cross.)  The #5 is a measure of the angle at which the rails meet in the frog (about 11.5o.)  It is not an exact replacement for a section of 22" radius track but works well with 22" radius.

Jim

Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Robertj668

Jim

Forgive my ignorance.  So my engines that require 22 " will work nicely on the #5 turnouts?

Robert

Jim Banner

Yes, assuming the turnout works properly.  But consider them minimums, just like 22" radius is minimum.  Larger is better.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

lwmlwm44

Thanks Jim for the info.............I figured on going with the no. 5 switch for a better and easier turn.   

From what I can tell in the pics of the bachmann no 5, it appears that a control unit is included with the switch.  So I shoul d be able to connect the wiring for the switch to a spare transformer with a accessorie outlet of 12 to 16 v ac ( have a couple of these) and just connect the switch into my regular DCC line and be all set.

I know I can double up on switches on the EZ Command............I currently have 9 installed right now and programmed in, but decided to go with the regular switches for the yard..............being a bit more lower in price and really hate to double up switches on the same address.

Larry