News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Which Yellow Capacitor to cut.

Started by djp, September 14, 2009, 11:16:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

djp

Hello there, just bought a spectrum 4-8-2. And installed a MRC decoder in it. I have read somewhere that i have to cut a yellow capacitor to get good speed control or something like that. But i see there are two. I have the DCC ready Spectrum. Thanks.
Get Off My Train !!!

Jim Banner

If your locomotive is running well, doesn't stop unexpectedly, and the speed doesn't vary unexpectedly, then you don't really need to cut any.  If you do have any of these problems, then remove them both.  Actually, you do not have to remove them completely - just cut one leg and bend the other leg so the ends of the cut leg cannot touch.  This allows you to connect the capacitor back up if you want to.  It also allows you to reconnect if you make a mistake and cut a component that is not a capacitor.

Or you can follow my motto:  if in doubt, chop them out.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

VTBob

say jim,

Do you have your website still with the photos of the Bachmann Spectrum 2-6-6-2 "installing a decoder" page anymore? I lost all my bookmarks when I had to redo my computer :P

Z
R. Montanye
Montanye Models, St. Albans, Vermont

djp

Thanks Jim, i'll run the loco for w while and see if any of that stuff happens. If so then i will chop them off. Thanks.
Get Off My Train !!!

Jim Banner

Zytx,
The photos are still up at the link below.  I thought I had written a few words to go with them, but have not been able to locate them right now.  Let me know if you need more than the photos and I will search some more or write a new page to go with the photos.

http://members.shaw.ca/sask.rail/dcc/b-mann2-6-6-2/b-mann2-6-6-2.html

Jim

djp

Hi Jim, the engine is running fine so i skipped cutting the capacitors. I have another question for you. I have a number of decoders sold by Bachmann installed in my engines. I was trying to enable the back emf feature of the decoder. Can you tell me if it is possible and what value to use? I heard the decoders sold by Bachmann are Lenz. But i don't know the model number. I am using the MRC Prodigy Express. I was successful with a MRC decoder i had. Thanks.
Get Off My Train !!!

Jim Banner

Not all decoder include back EMF, and I believe that Bachmann's basic 1 amp decoder does not have it.  Their Tsunami Technology sound decoders do have it.

Data for the basic decoder is shown at the link below:

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/ez_content/1_Amp_Decoder_Instr.pdf

Jim