Adding DCC decoder to regular DC locomotive

Started by Flyer, October 22, 2009, 01:02:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flyer

I have a Bachmann #67005 diesel locomotive.  Can I add a decoder to this item?

ABC

Yes but you would have to hard wire the decoder. That means you would not be able to use a decoder with a harness for a 8-pin socket or 9-pin socket. This item is not considered DCC ready by Bachmann. If you are familiar with the electronics you can "hard wire" a DCC decoder into your engine, and you may have to make some adjustments to make room for a decoder.

Flyer

Many thanks,  ABC 
Quote from: Flyer on October 22, 2009, 01:02:09 PM
I have a Bachmann #67005 diesel locomotive.  Can I add a decoder to this item?

ABC

your welcome, by the way don't you think that the text in red looks kind of mean

Jim Banner

I think ABC with his mean red text means that you are not be able to use a decoder with a built in plug.  If you have one with a plug on the end of a harness, you have the option of unsoldering the plug or cutting it off.  Usually decoders with just wires are cheaper than the same decoder with a plug on the ends of the wires, but as John Wayne once said, "If ya gottem, smokem."

Hmmm.  Maybe that "smokem" is not the best advice when it comes to decoders.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

ABC

pdlethbridge

Decoders run on smoke, and if any gets out of the engine its bye, bye decoder :o

RAM

Let me start by saying that I don't know anything about Bachmann #67005.  That being said, just a word of caution.  Make sure that the motor does not pick up any current from the frame.

Jim Banner

ABC,
I do believe you're right.  Ever since saying that earlier, I have been trying to remember what movie he said that it.  Or maybe it was movies?

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

mabloodhound

Might have been 'Sands of Iwo Jima" but still looking
Dave Mason

D&G RR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
"In matters of style, swim with the current;
in matters of principle, stand like a rock."   Thos. Jefferson

The 2nd Amendment, America's 1st Homeland Security