News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Cannot Change the Loco address

Started by djp, September 17, 2009, 08:55:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

djp

Hi, i have the MRC Prodigy Express. I cannot change the loco address in spite of following the steps given. It tells us how to change the functions of the decoder but not the address. Any ideas would be welcome. Thanks
Get Off My Train !!!

Jim Banner

What kind of decoder are you using?  Is it sound or non sound?  Is it new or used?  What address is it presently set to?  Does the decoder have decoder lock?  What is the decoder installed in?  Did you install the decoder or was it factory installed or what?  Have you ever been able to program this decoder?  Has anyone else been able to program this decoder?

I am sorry that I ask so many questions.  But as I sit here, half a world away, I cannot guess which one of many possible reasons applies to  this case.  Even with all the information, I and all the other good people on Bach-Man's Board may still not be able to help you, but at least we will have some information to work with and we will try.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

djp

I am glad you asked all those questions. I am sure i can answer all. Let me begin. They are all the Basic 1amp decoders sold by Bachmann. One is  a MRC 1651. Two are the pre installed DCC equipted loco's. Some are hardwired by me and some are plugged into my dcc ready engines. I originally had the Bachmann EZ command station. I had all my loco's addressed from 1-9. They worked perfectly. I can still change any address with the EZ command. I now have more than 9 loco's, hence i bought the MRC express. The new engines [2 off them] are at a default address of 3.  Cannot change them. Not with the MRC. but i can with the EZ command. Strangely though i can changes other functions such as Start Voltage, Accl, dccl, etc with the MRC. The only thing i cannot do is change the address. If you have any more questions please ask away. Thanks you for your time. LOL you are the first person who has realised and commented about me living half a world away. Most people do not notice that.
Get Off My Train !!!

Jim Banner

In the morning I will look for my Prodigy manual and try to figure out the procedure for changing addresses.  Right now it is the middle of the night here and I need to get some sleep.

I had in mind that you were the gentleman who emailled me from India about a year ago about a problem.  If I am mistaken, then I offer my apologies.  I often look to see where people are from.  The internet arrived late in my life so I am still fascinated by the instant communication to far away places.  My grandchildren think of it as something that has always been there.  They cannot understand the idea of writing a letter and waiting weeks or months for an answer.

Jim   

CNE Runner

Djp - I use the MRC Prodigy Advanced and had no trouble changing the addresses of my Atlas MP15DC. Things changed drastically when I tried to change the addresses of my two Bachmann Spectrum 4-4-0s. Simply put: I couldn't. A request on the Model Railroader forum brought this successful advice: "You need to have a dedicated programming track that is powered by a Soundtraxx PTB-100 Programming Track Booster." This booster sells for about $60 and is easy to install. Since using the PTB-100, I have had no problem changing the addresses in my 4-4-0s (or any other engine for that matter).

Regards,
Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

djp

Well that looks like you have soundtraxx  decoders, hence the PTB 100 track booster. I have very simple cheap decoders, no frills. I cannot even change a MRC decoder that i have. Strange that the MRC Prodigy Express cannot address a MRC decoder. I can change all the CV's of the decoders. It is just the address that i cannot change. I guess there is something that i am not doing right.
Get Off My Train !!!

Jim Banner

Programming addresses with the Prodigy Express:

(1)First you need to make sure your cab is set to allow programming.  To do this, check the Cab address by unplugging the cab.  Then press button 6 and hold it down while you plug the cab back in.  The display will show the cab number for a moment.  It should be cab #1.  If it is not #1, you may have problems with programming.

(2) put your locomotive on your program track.

(3) press the PROG (Program) button to select Prog Prog Track (programming on the program track) on the display.  Then press ENTER.

(4) "Adr" should flash on and off on the display.  The cab is asking you what new address you want.  Enter the new locomotive address that you want to program into your locomotive using the 0-9 keys.  After putting in the two or four digits, press ENTER.

(5) That's it.  Remove your locomotive from your program track and set it on the mainline.

(6) Select the locomotive in the usual way, using the new address.  Enjoy.

Note that this is for programming on a program track.  It is also possible to program on the mainline if the decoder allows it.  Not all decoders do.  Not all decoders allow 4 digit addresses either.

For some really old decoders (and a few not so old ones) you have to program addresses one CV at a time.  You mentioned that you can program CV's with no problems, so what you would have to do is program CV1 to a number between 2 and 99 (this is the new address) and program CV 29 to 2.  You may also be able to use addresses 100-127, if the decoder supports them but you are generally better off to avoid these addresses as some command stations differentiate between these addresses and similar four digit addresses and some do not.  To put that another way, address 123 may or may not be the same as address 0123,

I hope this, plus what Ray has written, will help you.

Jim

djp

Thanks Jim and Ray, i am going to try what you have just told me. Let's hope it works. One quick question. When i use a multi meter, i get a power signal from " to main track " outlet. but no signal form " to program track" Is that a problem with my MRC? Or does it get activated when i press " prog prog track" ? I don't think i have put the question very well. Please let me know if you would like me to rephrase it. Thanks. By the way Jim, either you keep an archive of people's mails or you have the memory of an elephant. LOL. Remembering an email form one year ago.
Get Off My Train !!!

Jim Banner

The program track is not powered except when the command station is sending a command.  So what you observe is normal.

I don't know how memory works.  I can remember my locker combination from high school almost half a century ago but I can rarely remember what I had for ... for ...for ... ?what's that meal in the morning called??

Jim

djp

Hi Jim, you are the best !!!!!. Thanks, it worked. Looks like the MRC can change addresses only on the Program track. It worked perfectly. Even though my decoders can be programmed on the main i guess one cannot change the address on the main.

Well who cares what that is called when you eat in the morning !!!!. As long as you enjoyed it and your tummy is happy.
Get Off My Train !!!

Jim Banner

Great news.  Now enjoy those trains!!

Jim

jestor

Quote from: djp on September 19, 2009, 04:24:05 PM
Looks like the MRC can change addresses only on the Program track. It worked perfectly. Even though my decoders can be programmed on the main i guess one cannot change the address on the main.
    I use the Prodigy and do all programming, including changing addresses, on the main. I use LOK decoders.

djp

Hi all,
After 6 long years i'm facing this problem again. I tried everything Jim suggested and unlike 6 years ago i am still not able to change the loco address on the program track or main track. Even when the command station sends a command i do not get any voltage reading for that moment.
Anyone facing this issue?
Thanks.
Get Off My Train !!!

Hunt

You using MRC Prodigy Express (what version)  or what to program decoder address?

What decoder (Bachmann locomotive if you don't know decoder installed) are you trying to change? Is it sound or non-sound?

Can you control the locomotive with its present address?

Have you done a decoder reset and then programmed from address 3 to a new address?

You trying to change from what address to what address? Using programming track or programming on the main track?

djp

Hi Hunt,
To answer your questions.
1] I do not know the version of my MRC Express. Its really old about 8yrs min. Is there a way to check the version?
2] I use non sound economy decoders Bachmann. I think in another post of mine, you said they were in collaboration with Lenz.
3] It has been reset to address 3 by using CV 8 value 8.
4] I'm trying to change it to address 1 or 0001[does it mean the same?]
5] I tried it on both Main Track and Programming Track.   

Thanks.
Get Off My Train !!!