News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Spectrum Doodlebug Power

Started by hotrainlover, September 19, 2009, 08:11:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotrainlover

Dear Board,
How much pulling power does this unit have?  Will it pull say... 3 passenger cars?  I was told it has 1 (one)  power truck?  How hard is it to convert to DCC?

Thanks for the help!!

simkon

DCC-Equipped EMC Gas Electric Doodlebug with Trailer Coach
EMC Gas Electric features include:
• DCC equipped for speed, direction, and lighting (8-pin NMRA plug)
• 5-pole skew wound motor
• flywheel drive
• die-cast gear box
• bronze bearing
72´ trailer coach
Price: $215.00

The new doodlebug has DCC on board, which would solve your DCC need, but to install it into an older one would be the same as hard wiring a decoder into any other loco with an isolated motor (the older run of the doodlebug does not have an 8-pin socket). The older one can only pull 2 NMRA weighted passenger cars, the newer one with its 5pole motor probably could pull 3-4 NMRA weighted cars. I know the older one only has on drive truck, but the rear may pick-up for lighting.

Chris350

Quote from: simkon on September 19, 2009, 08:44:45 PM
DCC-Equipped EMC Gas Electric Doodlebug with Trailer Coach
EMC Gas Electric features include:
• DCC equipped for speed, direction, and lighting (8-pin NMRA plug)
• 5-pole skew wound motor
• flywheel drive
• die-cast gear box
• bronze bearing
72´ trailer coach
Price: $215.00

The new doodlebug has DCC on board, which would solve your DCC need, but to install it into an older one would be the same as hard wiring a decoder into any other loco with an isolated motor (the older run of the doodlebug does not have an 8-pin socket). The older one can only pull 2 NMRA weighted passenger cars, the newer one with its 5pole motor probably could pull 3-4 NMRA weighted cars. I know the older one only has on drive truck, but the rear may pick-up for lighting.

The above is all good info, however, there is a Spectrum model with an 8 pin socket.  Getting under the hood is a bit finicky, but DCC install is easy.  Front truck is powered, rear is power pickup.  In real life DB's only pulled one coach as far as I know, but I may have that factoid confused with something I read regarding RDC's.  The model I have is 8 pin, with a can motor and flywheels.  It's geared to run slowly, and is a bit noisy.  I do not know the age of my DB.

Hope this is useful, Chris

simkon

Oh yeah that's right...there were 2 runs of doodlebugs prior to this, so it is very well possible that the one hotrainlover has an 8-pin socket, but the very first run didn't have an 8-pin socket. Prototypically, most ran without a trailer, and very rarely with 2 trailers, but this was only on a few railroads and only during peak operation. RDC's have run with more units because there was often more than one powered unit allowing them to run as many cars as needed.

hotrainlover

Simkon,
Thanks for the info. 
The seller does not know what run this unit is from.  It is Item #81407 GREAT NORTHERN EMC GAS ELECTRIC "DOODLEBUG".  With cab # 2320. 
If anyone has this unit, could you check if it has the 8 hole plug for me...Or not.   :)
Thanks again,
Hotrainlover

Chris350

Quote from: hotrainlover on September 19, 2009, 11:49:10 PM
Simkon,
Thanks for the info. 
The seller does not know what run this unit is from.  It is Item #81407 GREAT NORTHERN EMC GAS ELECTRIC "DOODLEBUG".  With cab # 2320. 
If anyone has this unit, could you check if it has the 8 hole plug for me...Or not.   :)
Thanks again,
Hotrainlover
I believe that you sir all in luck.  I have this exact model.   It is DCC with a socket.

hotrainlover

Just received my Bachmann unit!!  The detailing IS superb.  Cannot wait to see it operate.  I do question the rear coupler...  pivots whih the rear wheel-set?

hotrainlover

This unit is indeed easy to install a decoder in.  Now to figure out how to change the lighting to be able to turn the coach lights on/ off, when I want to....

Chris350

Quote from: hotrainlover on September 28, 2009, 01:52:54 PM
This unit is indeed easy to install a decoder in.  Now to figure out how to change the lighting to be able to turn the coach lights on/ off, when I want to....
That's on  my list as well.  I know I want to attach the light lead to a function lead out of the decoder, then to the lighting common, I just have not played with it yet.  I did  similar thing with a Proto 100 RDC.  So I know it is easily done.