News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Large Scale buildings

Started by New ChooChoo, September 25, 2009, 07:09:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

New ChooChoo

Has anyone had any luck building large scale buildings? I am looking for buildings that you can print off a printer and then glue to a firm surface and cut out and glue together.

jerryl

I have never seen any printable large scale buildings.  You would have to join many pages together & thus have many seams.
  There are some O scale buildings on line that you could enlarge 2x.  Don't know how the resolution would be, but worth a try.   Also there are websites that offer siding, brick. roofing etc that you could use.
  Hopefully you are planning to use these inside. paper, even if coated will not last outside.  jerry

glennk28

I have had plans blown up to large scale and transferred them to salvaged plexiglass from old signs--thise made good building cores--then I overlaid the plastgic with wood or other materials.  A sign shop is a good source. They often have "old" signs when called to change  the signagewhen a business changes hands.  gj

Robertj668

New ChooChoo
Several Months ago
o I asked a similar question tough it was in HO.  But people gave me some nice links for cardstock buildings.

I do not know how to put a link to it so if you want search "Cardstock Structure" under Gerneal Discussion. 

Hope that helps

Robert

Kevin Strong

If the buildings are going to be outdoors, you'll find paper rather inferior in terms of longevity. I'd suggest that if you were able to find something like that, you'd be better served to print it on adhesive vinyl, and overspray it with a UV-protective clear coat. I use that for the signs on my outdoor structures and they hold up very well.

Sorry I can't help you with actual storefronts or anything like that, but I'd bet if you searched Google for images of storefronts, you'd probably find something you can warp in Photoshop to suit your needs.

Later,

K

Jim Banner

Kevin,
That information is really tantalizing.  Could you give a little more detail?  What kind of printer do you need to print on vinyl?  Where do you get adhesive vinyl and UV-protective clear coat?  Art supply stores?  Craft shops?  Stationers?  Paint store?  The best I have come up with for signs is photographic prints embedded in a plastic similar to Envirotex, but they still only last for a couple of years.  I would sure like to try something different.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Loco Bill

Thgere is a software called Model Builder at www.modeltrainsoftware.com it allow you tp make custom buildings in any scale.

Kevin, I am interested in where to get the adhevsive vinyl you mentioned.

Wal mart sells UV spray in clear and matte.

Loco Bill,
Roundhouse Foreman
Missouri Western Railway

Unnofficial Historian of Bachmann Large Scale Products