News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

HO Scale Grain Trucks

Started by BestSnowman, September 30, 2009, 05:37:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BestSnowman

My dad and I have been looking for some HO Scale grain trucks for his ethanol layout and have surprisingly come up not much of anything. I found an athearn grain truck (http://www.athearn.com/Search/Default.aspx?SearchTerm=grain&CatID=THV) but nothing in the truck/trailer arrangment (though I have found a ton of general freight trailers).

Has anyone found anything along this line?
-Matthew Newman
My Layout Blog

Jim Banner

Here in Saskatchewan, we are seeing fewer of those little grain trucks like the Ford 850 that Athearn models.  As the railways shut down branch lines and farmers have to haul farther, often much farther, to the elevators or "inland terminals," we are seeing more semi trailers and some double trailers being used for grain.  They may be built to haul grain, as the ones in the photo at this link:

http://www.mylittlesalesman.com/frontend/content/imageViewer.aspx?id=445285&image=0adbed0-ac66-4f81-a4e3-97ed7bcf5b6

Or they may be converted hoppers, built up gravel trucks or even flat beds with custom boxes.

With no correct models available, you may have to bash a few to make what you want.  The trailers in the linked photo could be made out of just about any model semitrailer with a rectangular body.  Or build your own body out of sheet styrene - it is just a simple 5 sided box (no top.)  The vertical ribs can be made out of styrene strips in a wide variety of sizes.  The tops of the ends are curved so that the canvas cover does not sag into the load.  Once these are in place, some very thin styrene can be bent over the top to simulate the canvas.  As far as the tractors go, we see them all, from beat up old cab overs to brand new Volvos.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

BestSnowman

That is exactly what I am looking for (they are common around here too).

I might try a kitbash or custom build.
-Matthew Newman
My Layout Blog

Jim Banner

Looks like modern grain trucks are either very popular or are diecast using an Unobtainium alloy - none of those are in stock.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Chris350

Quote from: Jim Banner on October 01, 2009, 01:25:07 AM
Looks like modern grain trucks are either very popular or are diecast using an Unobtainium alloy - none of those are in stock.

Jim
for some reason Lonestar seems to be permanently out of stock.  Kinda expensive as well.

Jhanecker2

I have seen most of those types of trailers down the road at the grain dealer on Railroad Street . I often wonder why they never a rail connection since they are just across the street .  I notice that the factory on the otherside  of the right of way originally had a siding but it has been gone for quite awhile and the tracks and switch were removed for the most part. There appears to have been a good number of former businesses adjacent to the tracks there is still one spur that is still in place at a former lumberyard. The UP freight just headed east from Belvidere toward Elgin . There is a quite impresive thunderstorm going on right now , it illuminated the freight train very nicely .  John II

Chris350

how about these?

MODEL#TS106 from this site: http://www.ppw-aline.com/trkstuff.htm
they have tractors from all sorts of manufacturers as well, so you could mix and match as you saw fit.
Promotex used to make two grain haulers, both arevdiscontinued, but can probably be found on Ebay or with some searching about in hobby shops... which is half the fun of the hobby on my book, hunting down that perfect whatzzit...

BestSnowman

Those are some great leads! The Wilson Grain Trailer is the most common around the area I grew up (and the walthers link is basically the same thing). The PPW grain hoppers really intrigue me. They will definitely work and appear to be a great blank slate for some customization.

I've learned in this hobby when something is sold out it likely means somebody has it somewhere you just have to find where. Thats for the leads, I will pass these along to my dad. I know he will be appreciative.

As for operation at a grain elevator my dad would be a better source (he worked at one during high school, and his dad ran one for some 40 years). When the elevator has an active train connection it comes from the field (or sometimes other elevators) primarily by truck (easier than trying to get a trian to the combine). I guess for the elevators that are no longer served by the railroads they take it out in trailers like the Wilson's as it is re-sold.
-Matthew Newman
My Layout Blog