News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

EZ Track No 5 Turnout Roadbed Clearance

Started by lwmlwm44, October 02, 2009, 12:42:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lwmlwm44

I recently purchased 4 pairs of subject turnouts.   I was surprised when I went to install them that you cannot connect track to the ends of the turnout as the roadbed on the track gets in the way between the switch area and does not allow a complete connection of the track.    I took a short straight piece and cut out part of the roadbed so the tracks could be joined properly

Why they didn't extend the switch track out a bit further to alleviate this problem confuses me

Larry

Jhanecker2

Good Afternoon :  Most switches come with 2-1/2" extensions . Look underneath the roadbed and you should see scoremarks on one end of the roadbed. Bend the roadbed down and remove the triangular section , this should then allow you to join the section to the switch . Please note this condition is also to be found on various crossovers and also requires the addition of the modified 2-1/2" sections to provide the necessary clearance. Hope this helps .   John  II

mf5117

Correct me if I'm wrong .The ones I bought had 1 2" extention . And they do have score mark's on the bottom opposite corners . Break off the tab and it will fit in the turnout .Then affix the next piece to it accordding to your layout

lwmlwm44

will have to look under the short piece that came with the switches.   didn't realize that

still would think Bachmann could have designed them different.

Also I have noticed on their sections of track that some sizes have predrilled holes to mount the track on the bench while other curve sections dont  this is strange to me as to why they don't put mounting holes on all their sizes..........course I can understand them not putting them on the short pieces.    But why put them on a 22 in radius track and not on a 18 in. piece...................also many times the holes are not completely drilled thru.

Larry

Joe Satnik

If I recall correctly, the small extensions that come with the #5 turnouts are 2-1/4". 
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

mf5117

Hey Joe your right , they are 2 1/4". I just knew they were bigger that 1/2" the 2"s you get from the 90 degree crossing .

Jhanecker2

You gentlemen are correct the pieces are  2-1/4"  they are one half of the 4-1/2" pieces which are half of the 9" straight tracks. The 2" sections that came with the 90 degree crossing are new and not normally sold seperately , they make the assembled crossing the same size as the earlier  90 degree crossing.  Regarding the holes for the track nails ,those holes are not predrilled but molded into the base , either the pins were designed a little short or they are worn out at the tips creating flash in the hole bottoms. They are very small in diameter and injection molding creates a lot of stress & wear. They are probably have to be changed out fairly often to maintain the correct size.  John  II