News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

The Smaller 4-4-0 Loco Question

Started by HK Porter, October 06, 2009, 08:41:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HK Porter

I was looking at the Gretna sized loco and was wondering where the engineer would
sit or stand on the prototype, It does not seem to have any room...

nice looking engine.... soon as I find out I am gonna buy one

the Bach-man

Dear HK,
Usually the engineer squeezed himself in alongside the boiler- not very pleasant in summer!
Have fun!
the Bach-man

Jim Banner

Saskatchewan's narrow gauge 0-4-0 Vulcan suffers from the same problem - a cramped cab.  When you drive it, thermal underwear, heavy cotton pants and cotton overalls is the order of the day, even very hot days.  Otherwise, when your left leg bounces against the fire box, it gets cooked rather quickly.  And you never take your gloves off.  When your fireman is stoking the fire, the open firebox door has a habit of swinging against your left thigh whenever the locomotive rocks a bit.  No time to be putting your gloves on when the hot door needs a push RIGHT NOW.

This we call fun.

Jim 
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

HK Porter

No OSHA in those days then...
It must have been a rough job stuffed in there, but they were  lot skinnier back then.

ebtnut

A lot of steam locos, especially smaller ones and narrow gauge lokies, had deckless cabs.  This is where the boiler/firebox extends right to the back wall of the cab.  The fireman stands on the tender deck to shovel the coal, while the engineer has to squeeze in beside the boiler and the side cab wall to sit on his seat.  Yeah, not a lot of room there.  If you happen to get to the East Broad Top this weekend, their Mikes have this design.

Alex Butner

I may not have an On30 4-4-0, but I have only heard positive reviews of this locomotive. It is small, affordable, and I think it has interchangeable parts. If you happen to be thinking of purchasing one, then you should not be let down. Good luck.