News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

GE 44 ton

Started by jerryl, October 20, 2009, 12:06:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jerryl

Why was the GE 44 ton switcher downgraded to the standard line? Were any changes made? I thought that DCC equiped locos were Spectrum?

ABC

Nope, it is pretty much the exact same thing except for its cheaper and in a different box. The only possible difference is that the new one may have only a 3-pole motor, but Bachmann's newer 3-pole motors run just as well as the older 5-pole motors...you won't be able to tell the difference.

Jim Banner

Not too much being said officially about the down grading but my guess is that there are two reasons behind it.  First is that good things just keep getting better and better.  As the whole range of products improves, what used to be state-of-the-art is now not quite up to Spectrum standards.

Secondly, some of the moulds may be starting to show their ages.  After you pop a million castings out of one, there is bound to be some wear.  So maybe the details that were crisp and sharp ten years ago are now blurred enough that they don't quite make Spectrum standards.

However, those "not quite Spectrum" locomotives are still better than anything we had 20 years ago.  Yes, I am aware that 20 years ago is ancient history for some of us, but for others of us, our "new" locomotives are the ones manufactured in the last 20 years.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

jerryl

I'm with you, still have my first loco, a Mantua kit from about 1952. It was really hard to distinguish The flash from the "detail" .
  I have one of the first run of the 44ton. It has 2 motors & VERY hard to isolate the motors for DCC.   Really waiting for the 45 tonners to get back in production.   Jerry

RAM

Jim, Mr Bach man did come out some time back and say why they were changing some of the old spectrum to stander.  You just about hit the nail on the head. 

Jim Banner

Thanks, RAM.  I must have been napping that day and missed it, or made a mental note of it and lost it.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

the Bach-man

Dear All,
The state of the art has progressed to where some older Spectrum engines are not up to the current ones in terms of detail. Even though the recently moved locos are actually improved in running characteristics, they will now cost less, which should be good news in these economic times.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

CNE Runner

It is refreshing to see a company that still thinks of the 'average guy' and finds ways to reduce the cost of our hobby. Many thanks Mr. Bachmann! Would you see if the 'powers-to-be' would be receptive to replacing the gearing in the MDT (actually WDT) Plymouth? Would the new gearing in the 0-6-0T fit? I understand the low speed operating characteristics, of the Spectrum 0-6-0T, are fantastic...and it is quiet. Your little Plymouth is a great little engine - albeit noisy.

Regards,
Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"