Installing Tsunami in a K4 Spectrum Pacific.

Started by jpgmax, September 15, 2009, 09:28:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jpgmax

Hi,I have a K4 spectrum loco and I intend to install a Tsunami Medium sound decoder.  I want to remove the factory installed DCC ready circuit board to make more room for decoder and speaker.  The wiring coming from the loco is not the same colors as the decoder.  The small two wire plug is black and red, power pickup, but the others look like 3 black wires and one tan colored one. How do I know which wires are for what?

Thanks, John.

Jim Banner

The black and red pair is normally power from the locomotive wheels to the decoder.  Check this with an ohmmeter or a grain of wheat bulb and a 9 volt battery.

The four wires are normally two for the headlight and two for the motor.  Connecting a 9 volt battery to them two at a time will soon show you which pair is which and what polarity you need to make the locomotive run forward.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

jerryl

You should ALWAYS check where the wires go when removing a PC board, no guarantee of color conformance....especially from Bachmann

Jim Banner

jerryl,
I am trying to remember if I have ever seen complete conformance to NMRA colour coding in any locomotive in any scale, and I keep coming up blank.  A Digital Multi-Meter on an ohms scale or a simple bulb and battery continuity checker has got to be your best friend when hard wiring decoders.  Either that or disassembly of the locomotive to the point that you can follow the wires from source to sink.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Robertj668

John

I added the Tsunami sound the the exact engine 4 months ago. It is actually a post that covered this subject.   I too wanted to get rid of the DCC ready circuit Board to save room. I was advised by I  think it was either Bachmann not to do it.  As it was needed for proper operation.  I know I should of kept theinformation packet that my Hobby guy printed for me. It is possible to wire it with out removing it. It was rather difficult.  But well worth it!

Robert

jpgmax

Hi all,

Thanks for all your suggestions, I'm grateful for the help, I'll let you know how I get on,

Thanks, John.

jpgmax

Hello everyone,

Just and update to let you know how I got on with this Tsunami installation.  I ended up removing the circuit board completely, positioned the decoder on its side, stuck to a small metal bracket which I clued to the tender weight to one side of the tender  mounting poles. and the 1'" at the rear with some holes drilled above the rear truck. Sounds fantastic and runs better than some more expensive locos.

Thank you all for your thoughts, John.