News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

question on turnouts

Started by lizzardlife, October 07, 2009, 04:17:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lizzardlife

I have been using #6 atlas code 100 turnouts.  I can't say I like them but they generally work.  Trains just run rough through them.  Any suggestions or favorite turnouts out there?  Anyone tried walthers?  Or how about the #6 or #8 code 83 turnouts form atlas? 

SteamGene

Most turnouts need a bit of tweaking.  Atlas normally needs the least amount. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

CNE Runner

I had an entire layout that used Walthers/Shinohara track and turnouts. Because of the forum rules against posting anything negative about another manufacturer; I will remain silent on their performance. My last two layouts have featured Peco products and I am extremely satisfied with their performance. I have now delved into the fascinating world of micro/small layouts [see my post "My New Micro Layout" on the General Discussion section of the foum.]; but have retained my exclusive use of Peco track and turnouts.

A #5 turnout is very tight for most locomotives - and that could be the source of your problems. Definitely go with the largest turnout you can fit. I have not used Atlas track products in 10 or 15 years so I can't speak of their reliability.

In summary, I would recommend Peco Insufrog turnouts...dependable and cost effective.

Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

ebtnut

Note that LizardLife said he was using #6's, which will accommodate almost any loco except maybe a 4-12-2.  Smooth operation requires strict adherence to NMRA standards.  You need to get one of the NMRA gauges that check both track and wheels.  In the case of turnouts, make sure the running rails are all in gauge.  Then check the flangeways for width and for any bits of flash that might be in them.  When running trains, note which cars or locos seem to have problems going through turnouts, and check the gauge of the wheels.  Don't assume that all equipment comes from the factory with everything correct.  Re-gauging wheels on rolling stock is often just a matter of twisting the wheel(s) in or out a bit on the axle.  Re-gauge locomotives is a bigger challange. 

Atlantic Central

lizzardlife,

On all newer Atlas turnouts, both code 100 and code 83, the cast metal frog is sometimes a little higher than the running rails. You can feal this by running you fingers along the rails and over the frog. If you are running steam locos, especially older ones without sprung drivers or long ones, they may seem rough.

The cure is simple, take a large flat file and gently file the top of the frog until it is flush with the running rails. I use Atlas code 83, and know many other modelers who use Atlas, both 83 and 100. They all are very happy with them. But, this is the one ajustment that sometimes is needed.

As for other brands, none are worth their much higher prices in my opinion. That is not to say they are bad products, PECO makes a great product in terms of quality, but personally I do like the curved frogs of their older products. Walther/Shinohara have their pluses and minuses as well, but again they are all too expensive  for any slight improvement over the Atlas product, in my view.

Many people have negative opinions about Atlas based on old versions of their turnouts that Atlas has not made in nearly 20 years. They are much improved since way back when.

Sheldon

jward

like sheldon, i don't think that most brands are worth their increased cost over atlas. that said, i take the cheapest way possible and build my own, a prpoerly built switch is far better than anything mass produced. plus with handlaid you can eliminate potential problems before they are permanently in place. some adjustments, like sharpening the points, or bevelling the blunt end of the rail where the points hinge, are infinitely much harder with commercial track.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

ebtbob

Good Morning All,

I use Peco Electrofrog turnouts.    For me,  the cost is worth it but I would never try to convince someone from use any other brand available.
There are two things I love about the Peco product.   One is the spring loaded points that allows you to use a turnout and not worry about the points spliting and causing derailments.  The second thing I like is the way the stock rails are notched so that the point rails seat into the stock rail making a smooth transition from one rail to another.
        In the end,  the most important thing I would suggest is that you purchase turnouts that you can install and that will give you the most reliable service in respects to smooth operation.
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org