News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

MRC add on booster

Started by djp, October 10, 2009, 04:02:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

djp

Hi, i have the MRC Express controller. It presently has a 1.6 amp power supply. Can i add the MRC 3.5 amp booster? Will the MRC 3.5 amp booster increase my total amperage to 4.6 amps if used together with my existing power supply? Thanks.
Get Off My Train !!!

Nigel

Yes you can add it.

It will increase your total to 3.5 amps, unless you seperate your layout into two power districts, in which case, one will have 1.6 amps and the other will have 3.5 amps.
Nigel
N&W 1950 - 1955

djp

OK so it is not going to go up to 4.6amps? Like if i connect them to each other via the 8 pin cable.
Get Off My Train !!!

Nigel

Quote from: djp on October 11, 2009, 01:25:09 PM
OK so it is not going to go up to 4.6amps? Like if i connect them to each other via the 8 pin cable.

Like if you do that, you'll let the smoke out of both of them.......and then you'll need to purchase a new DCC system.
Nigel
N&W 1950 - 1955

djp

LOL that i sure as hell don't want to do. I guess i'll have t g in for the MRC 8 amp one. A lot more expensive too. Thanks for the info.
Get Off My Train !!!

mrcrrtech

you can use the 0001505 district booster with the express through the booster port in the back of your express base unit. but disconnect the "to track" wires from your express base to your layout, these will no longer be used. your booster "to track" wires now will power the layout. this will give you 3.5 amps to the layout. you would still leave your "program track" wires connected to your present program track. you can not use the 1505 as a second district with the express powering your first district, as the difference in power outputs will cause a short between the two districts. you would need one 1505 hooked up to your express as mentioned above, then add, [daisy chain], a second 1505 to the first 1505 to power district # 2, etc., etc., down the line of districts.
Frank Verrico
Product Manager/Tech Support
Model Rectifier Corp.
rrtech@modelrectifier.com

djp

Thank you Frank. I now get the picture. I read somewhere that if i send in my express base, there is a hardware and software upgrade for it. Which do you suggest? Which would be cheaper? Send the base to MRC for an upgrade or just pickup the 1505.
Get Off My Train !!!

mrcrrtech

DJP,
the express upgrade consists of:
$25.00 for new software in the base unit- this gives you- better readback of decoders, opens the unit up for using the wireless and p.c. interface, and 28 functions, [if you purchase the wireless, p.c. interface, or an advance squared handheld you will be able to access all 28 functions]. the express handheld can not be upgraded, but it can still be used with an upgraded express, but you will only get the 16 functions.
$25.00 for a new upgraded power supply [2.5 amp]- will let you use a reverse loop controller, [AD520], and run a few more trains.
the 0001505 booster has an msrp of $164.98 [cheaper through a dealer]
the best thing to do is give me a call...732-225-2100, ext 224, or e-mail me at  rrtech@modelrectifier.com  and let me know more about what you are trying to accomplish on your layout.
Frank Verrico
Model Rectifier Corp.

djp

Sure Frank, i'll mail you. I cannot call because i live in India and it costs a small fortune to phone. Expect my email in a few days. Thanks.
Get Off My Train !!!

mrcrrtech

DJP,
got your e-mail, and sent you an answer.
Frank Verrico
Model Rectifier Corp.