News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

No Motor

Started by Rickenbacker 325, October 18, 2009, 08:01:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rickenbacker 325

Just got a Bachmann Spectrum Dash-9 diesel. Opened up the box, put the train on the test track and nothing. Held the diesel and the weight felt like there was a motor in it. So I took off the shell and there was no motor in it. What should I do?

EDIT: Sorry it's a Dash-8

BestSnowman

Its not supposed to be a dummy is it? Does it have any of the running gear or wiring?

Chances are you'll want to be calling bachmann if its not actually a dummy
-Matthew Newman
My Layout Blog

Rickenbacker 325

1: No
2: No

On the bottem it says:
Spectrum By Bachmann_____DCC ON BOARD

BestSnowman

Hmm, I'm pretty sure you wouldn't need DCC on board if it was supposed to be a dummy. What it appears is that it is a dummy put in the wrong box. Hopefully a call to Bachmann will straighten it out.
-Matthew Newman
My Layout Blog

Tylerf

Was it used? Or could have been used and switched with a dummy. Also did you pay full price or was it cheaper than it should normally be?

Rickenbacker 325

Just checked the price again and it is normal. It was brand new in the packaging.
Quote from: BestSnowman on October 18, 2009, 08:40:27 PM
Hmm, I'm pretty sure you wouldn't need DCC on board if it was supposed to be a dummy. What it appears is that it is a dummy put in the wrong box. Hopefully a call to Bachmann will straighten it out.
It is not supposed to be a dummy.

ABC

Who or where did you buy it from-this is key? If it was from your LHS or an authorized hobby dealer you are in luck, otherwise a tough break, hopefully if it is not an authorized Bachmann dealer, the guy will give you a refund or replace. Hopefully, you don't get bamboozled.

Rickenbacker 325

I got it at a Hobby Town U.S.A.

the Bach-man

Dear James,
We do not make any dummies. If your locomotive is indeed motorless, it is a rare factory error. Simply return it for a new one.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

tford

if Bachmann doesn't make dummy's how do I go about getting one to match my engine?

ABC

Buy a powered unit that has conked out/does not run anymore and take all the extra parts and pieces out (motor, gears, anything dealing with making it move), you can leave the lights and contacts though, add some weight to compensate for what you took out, and then you have a dummy with lights