News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Santa Fe Thunderbolt - coupler broke off

Started by KC, October 17, 2009, 11:04:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KC

Please excuse my ignorance..this is a whole new world for me. We bought the Santa Fe for my son last Christmas. The coupler broke off the engine. Can this be fixed? I believe another piece might have broken off as well.

Any suggestions on what we should purchase to expand the set? How much additional track should we purchase? He'd like to inculde a switch in his layout, as it is just a circle now. Should we just buy single cars and another engine? Any and all advice is appreciated.

Thanks,
KC

stationmaster12

Hi there,
Most model trains can be fixed. What I suggest is going down to a local Hobby shop that carries trains. Most of the time they will have parts and if not they can provably get them. And as far as expanding the train layout, I'd suggest looking through layout planning books. This will give you ideas as to what other track pieces and trains to get. Hope this helps!
Keep God first in all that you do.

ABC

All you have to do is buy another medium shank Bachmann coupler or whatever type you prefer. If you have Bachmann EZ track, you can buy the track expander set in the roadbed color that matches yours. Or if you perfer using (code 83 or 100) conventional sectional track or flex track you can buy some of that and atlas turnouts will probably suffice. When you buy your rolling stock it will be easiest if you buy rolling stock that matches the couplers you prefer using mchenry/kadee/knuckle or X2f/horn hook (typically found equipped in older sets and starter sets).

jbsmith

replacing the couplers are not a big problem. If you can use a Phillips head
screwdriver, you can fix the couplers. If you still have the papers that came
with the set there should be an explosion chart of the loco.
An Alternative would be to take it to a hobby shop that deals in model trains
i am sure they would be happy to help you with replacing the couplers.

Bachmann does have track kits to expand the layout
like these two

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/products.php?act=viewProd&productId=1303

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/products.php?act=viewProd&productId=1947

any self respecting hobby shop will have at least one these in stock, they are also very easy to find on-line at nice prices. These come in steel or nickel/silver rails.

Another new set is one way to acquire more track and expand his fleet too, normally at less cost than buying new locos and cars separately.

i also suggest a precision screwdrver set like this
http://store.qualitydist.net/sty-66-052.html
you can get this set at a wal mart for about $4 to$5
this particular Stanley set is much more comfortable on the hands and fingers to use.

KC

Thanks for all the suggestions. As I mentioned this is all new to me. I was thinking of buying the Lionel Pennsylvania train but I think I'm just going to try and expand the HO Santa Fe line that we currently have. It seems like a more cost effective way to go for an 8 year old boy. I really appreciate your help. I just looked in the box and found some couplers.

KC