News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

making smoke

Started by medicalmannow, October 21, 2009, 05:21:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

medicalmannow

I inherited a southern and norther g scale and everything is working except the smoke.  I purchased some smoke oil for the Bachmann, but in about six drops, but no smoke.  I get the sound of the engine chugging, but no smoke.  Can someone please tell me if there is anything I can do?

Thanks.

ABC

Often times smoke machines won't work unless you are running at nearly top speed, and take a little bit to get going.

Jim Banner

This may be reaching, but did you turn the smoke generator on?  I suspect we are talking about a 10-wheeler here, a steam locomotive with four smaller wheels followed by six larger wheels.  These typically have two switches behind the smoke box door (a round door at the very front of the boiler.  One turns the headlight on and off, the other turns the smoke unit on and off.  Looking at the front of the boiler, the hinges are on the left side, the two catches are on the right side.

You may have to add more smoke fluid, up to about 20 drops.  And as ABC has already pointed out, you may have to run at or near full speed to make smoke.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.