News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Help with Isolators

Started by scrooge, October 27, 2009, 10:12:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scrooge

I have two N Gauge E-Z oval tracks each with its own power supply.  The ovals are connected with a left and a right crossover.  The help I need please, is where do I locate the isolators to enable me to run trains on each oval independently.  A rough sketch with an answer would be appreciated.

fieromike

Quick and simple calls for insulated joiners on both rails of the crossover where the curved rails of the turnouts meet each other.
This method will not let you run trains from one oval to the other as a loco crossing from one oval to the other will cause a short circuit.

If you want to be able to run your locos everywhere, you need to look into block wiring or DCC.

scrooge

Thanks for your advice, it has also been suggested that I cut both rails in the centre of the crossover.  As I am new to this game I am (I thought) taking the easy route by going DC but it would appear that each set up has its own challenges.

fieromike

Quote from: scrooge on October 30, 2009, 08:43:22 AM
Thanks for your advice, it has also been suggested that I cut both rails in the centre of the crossover.  As I am new to this game I am (I thought) taking the easy route by going DC but it would appear that each set up has its own challenges.
The crossover is simply two turnouts that are facing each other.  You just need to install insulated joiners where the two meet instead of metal ones.  This will need to be done whether you use DC or DCC.