News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Early 90's 2-10-4 running problems.

Started by PatMatDec, December 28, 2007, 08:26:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PatMatDec

Hello All,

I have a Bachman C & O, 2-10-4 that I bought new approximately 18 years ago. It has never been used. I set up a layout for my son for Christmas and dug it out from my parents house.

Problem 1. When the train starts up, the last set of wheels, the ones with rubber on them split apart causing the train to stall.  I press them together but it keeps happening. Is there a fix for this?

Problem 2. I am unable to connect the tender to the engine. The tender has a small post on it but the engine has no hook to attach it to. It also appears to have an electric plug mount inside the cab.  What am I missing? is there a missing part? The Engine is a real beauty. I bought it hoping to use it someday and 20 years later..... ???
CEO
Nantasket Beach Railroad

SteamGene

Your best bet would be to return it to Bachmann for a replacement/upgrade.  It will cost you, I believe, $25, but you will have a much better engine. 
IIRC, the Bachmann 2-10-4 resembles the C&O only in the wheel arrangement.
Happy Fourth Day of Christmas
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

japasha

If the problems persist, you may want to convert to a PMD 2-10-4 mechanism which has a DC-71 motor and a very nice frame setup. I have two and they run great

Gene is correct, this model has  Santa Fe 4-8-4 boiler, not the round C&O. Wrong tender as well but they make a great model. When I run mine at the club, the guys think it's brass as I added detail.  I have a pair of flat motors if that's you problem.

Paul M.

You might not want to return it to Bachmann service because they don't make it any more. ;)

-Paul
[
www.youtube.com/texaspacific

PatMatDec

Does anybody know the name and item number that may have been associated with this train. a 2-10-4 C & O from approximately 1992?
CEO
Nantasket Beach Railroad