News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

plasser em80c track cleaner

Started by EBT17, October 12, 2009, 02:12:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EBT17

I do not have any fluid for my unit. Can I use rubbing alcohol as a substitute?

meguell3

I wouldnt reccomend rubbing alcohol, however, acetone works nicely.
just make sure it's not a plastic resevoir if you use either one.

ebtbob

I have used rubbing alcohol in the past but the problem is that it drys so quickly that you seem to need more than other fluids to do the same amount of work.   The other issue with use of alcohol is the flammibility.  Now I realize that you will be working with very small amounts,  but caution would still be recommended.
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

Jhanecker2

Also be careful with acetone as it is the solvent for Krazy-Glue and other similar glues.     John II.

bigbee444

I use "Pink Pearl" Erasers by Dixon.
I cut these to fit into the shoe beneath the car.
Precision is required as if the insert is too thick, traction is lost and the car does not move.
To increase traction, I have added dry weight to the tank as I am not using any fluids.
Considering the size of motor and weight of car, this method  achieves acceptable but not good results.
The carbon buildup on the pads requires frequent changes.
This is a "Fun  Car " and I do not expect efficiency,  Just FUN.
Regards,
BigBee

jerryl

Don't use acetone!! It will dissolve your plastic ties as well as your lungs.  It  can also destroy your kidneys.....Bad Stuff!!!
  I use denatured alcohol. I don't see the problem with it evaporating too soon as was stated in another post. It just has to stay wet long enough to make contact with the rails.   Jerry