News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

DCC Locomotive Cleaning

Started by jonathan, November 24, 2009, 04:10:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jonathan

For reasons that are too lengthy to explain, I have become more and more curious about the dark side (DCC).  If I were to venture into a nice DCC Sound Locomotive (and I'm not saying I am, and not that there's anything wrong with that), how does one clean loco wheels? 

DC is easy, turn the loco upside down and go to work using a kadee speedi-driver, some alcohol and an old t-shirt.  I'm trying to picture maintenance, dealing with a decoder and double the volts on the rail.

Regards,

Jonathan

jward

cleaning is pretty much the same dc or dcc. but i would avoid using anything abrasive on the wheels. dcc is much more sensitive to dirt, and abrasives can leave scratches that will cause arcing and add to the dirt on your wheels and track. i use the tried and true paper towel soaked in cleaner across the rails, one truck at a time, method.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

jonathan

Thanks, Jward.

Won't the motor stop, because not all the wheels are in contact with the current?  I thought I read decoders were finicky about not receiving current from enough wheels.

I may be out to lunch on that question, but I had to ask.

Thanks,

Jonathan

jward

it is a good question.

no, if all wheels pickup current, then your locomotive will run if only one truck is on the rails, the other truck can be on the paper towel, and you'd be surprized how much crud comes off that way. if your locomotive is too dirty to run this way, you can jumper from the rails to the red and black leads oto the decoder, these are the track pickup leads, and often near the wheels there will ba a bare spot you can jumper to.

what seems to affect running on dcc is the overall level of dirt on the track and wheels.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

jonathan

OK.  Thanks a million,  Jeffery.  I get it, now.  Just seemed complicated in my jumbled mind.

Regards,

Jonathan