News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Steady DC power

Started by Flyer, November 11, 2009, 03:55:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flyer

I understand that "DCC on board" allows one to run the engine on DC without any problem -- then I read that, yes that's OK, but the power(DC) must be a steady DC not a pulsating DC.  Someone please help me out here - most equipment I can find is DCC ready or DCC on board but I want to use just plain DC.  Will MRC power supplies provide steady DC power?

rich1998

some dc power packs supply pulse power. some decoders do not like pulse power dc. some dc packs supply pure dc which the decode likes. The electronics in the decoder can be confused by the pulses the decoder does not recognize. that is with a dcc on board decoder.
some ddc on board locos you can unplug the decoder and insert the dc adapter. i have that with my two spectrum steam engines.
motors have a cogging action and pulse power packs help overcome the cogging action cause by the motor magnets and the motor start up easier instead of a jump when using dc pulse power packs.
Do not know what the mrc power pack supplies. The mrc manual should tell you if it has pulse power.

if the loco is dc ready, no problem as there is no decoder.
lex

jward

i have 2 mrc tech 4 power packs.i believe they have a form of pulse power that fades out as speed increases.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

rich1998

some dc power packs may have a switch for pulse or no pulse. i use to make my own pulse power dc packs many years ago and i included a switch for that purpose. Have not ever seen the mrc packs though.
lex

Flyer

Jward:   Thanks for your reply as well as the others.  Are you running any "DCC ready" or "DCC on board" equipment with your MRC DC power?

If so, what effect does the MRC Tech 4 power have on your motors?  Smooth starts or jerky starts?  Any other or no adverse effects?

jward

from my experience, dcc locomotives in general will run on my mrc power packs in dc analog mode. there is a setting in the decoder which enables you to turn this feature off, but at factory default settings the locomotives all run on dc.

that said, their performance on dc is a bit sluggish and nowhere near as smooth as the same locomotive without a decoder. i think this is due to the decoder robbing a volt or two from the track voltage to the motor.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Flyer

Jward:  Can the decoder be removed completely and then provide the same performance as just regular DC powered motors?  Have you done this?

Jim Banner

Whether or not a decoder can be easily removed depends on how it was installed.  If it is plugged into a socket, all that is required is to unplug the decoder and plug in a dummy plug.  This gives a complete conversion to dc in that the decoder is no longer in play.

If the decoder is hard wired in without a plug and socket, removal is much harder.  It requires not only disconnecting the decoder but also rewiring the locomotive to allow it to run on dc.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

jward

jim said it all about removing decoders.

i might add that when i convert a locomotive to dcc, i usually keep the light board. if you have a locomotive equipped with a drop in type of decoder whicdh replaces the light board, you can simply swap them back. the same goes for a dcc locomotive equipped with an nmra 8 pin socket. you simply replace the decoder with a dummy plug. model power/ mantua locomotives usually come equipped with the 8 pin socket and dummy plug. most of the atlas locomotives take a drop in decoder in place of the light board. i am not sure about other makes.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Flyer

Gentlemen, many thanks - I believe, with your help, I understand  how to manage my locomotive motors much better - thanks again for taking the time to assist me!!