Help, thinking I'm a piece

Started by norwstan_66, November 14, 2009, 09:13:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

norwstan_66

I was given a very gently used Bachmann Big Hauler by a friend since I have a young child and his have out grown the idea of trains. 

The problem is I have the track, the train, the power pack but I don't have anything like what I'm accustomed to with my Lionel O scale stuck to connect the power unit to the track itself.  So I think I am missing a piece, am I?  I can't image you are just supposed to run the wires directly to the track are you?

Thanks for any direction I can get please!
Thanks,
Stan

Jim Banner

If the piece for connecting the wires to the track is missing, there is nothing wrong with soldering a wire to each rail, on the outsides away from the wheel treads and flanges.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

NarrowMinded

Jim, can you solder to big hauler track?

NM

bobwrgt

You are missing a plastic/metal clip that attaches the wire to the rail. It is black and a little longer than one of the ties.
I don't think solder will work.
If you have a drill and can drill a small  hole thru the rail (low) you can use a piece of copper telephone wire to put thru the rail and twist tight. This can be used to attach the transformer wire to the track.

Bob

scottychaos

In a pinch, you could just stick the bare wire ends into a rail joiner,
then attach the two pieces of track, firmly wedging the wire into the joiner..

that would at least get power to the rails until you can get the proper connector..

Scot

Jim Banner

Or you could solder wires to the rails.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

NarrowMinded

Thanks Jim, I wasn't sure you could solder to bachmann track, that pictures worth a thousand words

NM

Loco Bill

Hi, Bachamnn sells the part.

Here is the url

http://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=66_69_75&products_id=193

You can also get to it by clicking on the Order Parts bar on the left of the screen
Loco Bill,
Roundhouse Foreman
Missouri Western Railway

Unnofficial Historian of Bachmann Large Scale Products