News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Layout wiring

Started by rick1127, November 13, 2009, 05:36:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rick1127

OK I have a non-DCC system.  I have about ten switches that need to be wired.  I have the momentary switchs that come with the Cross Overs and Switch outs, but I am looking for a control Box.  I want to run all the wires for the switches over to one box.  Is there something already made for that, or do I need to create one.  The momentary switchs, can they be powered in seires, or does each need it's own ower lead.
Rick Cohoon
Cape Cod MA.
Rick.Cohoon@comcast.net

jward

Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

rick1127

Yea that would work.  Should have played with the switches first.  They can be connected in seires, with power to one end.  So I run the three wire leads from each switch under the table to the connected switches and bingo.  Place half on one controler, running two (2) trains, and half on the other.  That should work, and still leave some power for lights and such when I get that far.  50yr old and playing with my first train set. ;D
Rick Cohoon
Cape Cod MA.
Rick.Cohoon@comcast.net

jward

actually, you can connect the common terminals on all the switch motors in series. that way you only have to run two wires from the controller to the switch motor.usually the black wire is switch motor common, and the red and green wires are the control wires.

one word of caution: if you are using ac to power your switch motors, and using two power supplies, they MUST be isolated from each other. otherwise you'll short them out and possibly burn them up.if you have 10 switches and two supplies, i'd have two banks of 5 pushbuttons apiece. one would be powered by each supply, and the common returns for each bank of switches would go to ONE power supply ONLY. i cannot stress this enough. keep the power supplies seperate from each other. two 12 volt ac power supplies that are out of phase with each other can put over 30 volts through a dead short.....
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA