News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

DCC 44 ton

Started by kamerad47, November 09, 2009, 04:50:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kamerad47

I have a bachmann DCC 44 ton switcher does anyone make a DCC sound decoder board for it???

ebtbob

Due to the small size of that engine,  Lok Sound probably would be your only choice.
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

rich1998

someone in the soundtraxx yahoo site has a solution they are using for the single motor 44 ton loco. go join it won't hurt to join another forum. the subject is bachmann 70 ton loco but they are taliking about the 44 ton also.
lex

Tim

kamerad47

Loksound  # 72443 is the GE 44T decoder.
It is the only one with the correct sound.
It will be a tight fit and you will have to use
a smaller speaker than the one supplied.

Tim Anders
Souderton, PA

rich1998

Quote from: Tim on November 10, 2009, 11:16:46 AM
kamerad47

Loksound  # 72443 is the GE 44T decoder.
It is the only one with the correct sound.
It will be a tight fit and you will have to use
a smaller speaker than the one supplied.

Tim Anders
Souderton, PA
the person in the soundtraxx forum that did this is using the supplied speaker. he had to make his own bafle using styrene. he had to modify the chassis to allow for the speaker. he will send his details if people ask him.
lex

CAB_IV

Quote from: kamerad47 on November 09, 2009, 04:50:13 PM
I have a bachmann DCC 44 ton switcher does anyone make a DCC sound decoder board for it???

I personally would not reccomend this, for three fairly solid reasons

1.) Fitting a speaker in there will probably reduce the weight, and therefore pulling power of the already small locomotive.  I understand that its not meant to pull long trains, but for a small locomotive, its gonna need all the power it can get.

2.)  the sound will be horrible, just by the nature of small speakers.   They cannot produce the deep sounds of a real diesel engine. As a result, your train will sound funny, not like a locomotive.

3.) In the end, a new sound decoder from loksound or soundtraxx will cost more than the actual locomotive, and you won't be getting any real performance out of either the sound or the locomotive for the $100+ you'll be spending on the decoder, Not to mention all the hours of effort you would have to put in to re-wiring and and cutting out spaces for the speakers and  other equipment.

Save your money and just stick a normal decoder in.   

kamerad47

I here what your saying but check  out youtube under 45 ton switcher,  it sounds pretty darn good!!!!

rich1998

i have been corresponding with a fellow in south africa who has done this with the loksound v3.5 with option 72443 and the rectangular speaker with the decoder. he made a little baffle using styrene.
i have just ordered mine to install in a single motor 44 ton. $130.89 free shipping.

this guy sent all his photos of the install. you have to completely take apart the loco and make two cuts to cut some of the frame out using a hacksaw. bits of metal will make life miserable if you do not take the frame apart. also the pc board is not use and the plastic shelf below the pc board is not used either.
I can keep the lights and maybe I will put a strobe on top of the cab roof.
I have a video of someone who did this with a ho 44 ton in germany but it is not the bachmann.
i like the challenge. please remember, this is not plug and play. all my dcc installs sound fine. sometimes i have to tinker.
lex

CAB_IV

Quote from: kamerad47 on November 12, 2009, 05:46:57 PM
I here what your saying but check  out youtube under 45 ton switcher,  it sounds pretty darn good!!!!

All the same, i would make sure you're ready for it.    you Will, as Lexon as noted, HAVE to do some cutting and unassemble the model.   Make sure you keep the parts organized and note how they go together (i usually lay assemblies together if i can, and put screws and things in a pattern that matches the order and general location (relative to eachother) that i took them out. 

Its a one-Way deal.   

Quote from: lexon on November 12, 2009, 08:05:46 PM
i have been corresponding with a fellow in south africa who has done this with the loksound v3.5 with option 72443 and the rectangular speaker with the decoder. he made a little baffle using styrene.
i have just ordered mine to install in a single motor 44 ton. $130.89 free shipping.

this guy sent all his photos of the install. you have to completely take apart the loco and make two cuts to cut some of the frame out using a hacksaw. bits of metal will make life miserable if you do not take the frame apart. also the pc board is not use and the plastic shelf below the pc board is not used either.
I can keep the lights and maybe I will put a strobe on top of the cab roof.
I have a video of someone who did this with a ho 44 ton in germany but it is not the bachmann.
i like the challenge. please remember, this is not plug and play. all my dcc installs sound fine. sometimes i have to tinker.
lex

I would like photos of that installation if you can provide them. My 44 tonner is probably one of the most important locomotives on my roster.   Only my FDT trackmobile is small enough to fit in my small industrial park's trackage. 

rich1998

i sent the stuff good luck. contact me that way if any questions/comments/suggestions/comparisons, etc..
lex

kamerad47

lexon can you send me the prints? thanks

rich1998

i just receive the decoder and speaker.
the speaker fits just fine. the speaker needs a baffle and I have a variety of styrene for this.
yes, I agree, the decoder and speaker cost much more than the loco but this is what I want.
this is going to be a fun project.
lex

sparkyjay31

Please post photo's when you are done.  I'd love to see it all come together.  Jay
Southern New Hampshire around 1920 in HO
NCE Power Cab DCC
Long live B&M steam!