News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Set up info please:)

Started by rons_railroad, November 13, 2009, 04:08:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rons_railroad

Hi, I bought  44497 E-Z Steel Alloy World's Greatest Track Pack HO, I opened the brand new factory sealed box nearly everything was in it, but the set-up instructions.

I have no picture plans of what and how to put this together, and nothing relating to how to wire up the switches. All I saw in the box was the DVD and a sheet telling me information on safety.

Can anyone help me out?

Thanks, Ron:)

ABC

I think the DVD has instructions on how to set up the track. Also, there is no one way to set-up the track there's a plethora of configurations that you can use. Your set includes the following:
* nine 9" straights
* one 9" terminal/rerailer
* one 9" rerailer
* twenty 18" radius curves
* two 3" straights
* two switches - left
* two switches - right
* two Hayes bumpers

the Bach-man

Dear Ron,
The track plan is on the box, and all the other info is on the DVD.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

rons_railroad

Hi,
Yes the track plan is on the box, but there is no paperwork to read related to the rail-switches and the four circuit-switches! How do you use the green and red wiring??? What connects to what??? and ends up connected to where, and connected to where/how on the transformer?

BTY, I'm using DC not DCC.

This boxed deal of a track layout is lackluster in its detail of the above. Backmann should take a look at the way its not placing needed info in the box relating to this problem! Don't tell me I'm the only one who sees this! This information is not even showed on the DVD!

Ron.

Quote from: the Bach-man on November 13, 2009, 11:59:28 PM
Dear Ron,
Have fun!
the Bach-man

faduckeggs

Ron, we just bought the same set and it is also missing instructions.  In fact, I logged on specifically to ask this same question.

As far as we've been able to figure out:

1)  You can only power one switch per outlet, even though the set comes with multiple switch tracks. 
2)  The switch track has to be close enough to where your power control hooks into the main track that they can share a controller.
3)  Our set came with tons of unneeded wires.  You only need the red wires with the exposed ends.

There is a black three-prong switch.  You plug into this switch two things:  one side plugs with the green wires from the switch track; the other side plugx with a red wire that has exposed ends.  The third prong on the switch stays bare.

Once plugged into the switch, hook that red wire into the controller, one exposed wire into each opening on the front of the controller.

The green and red wires can fit into either side of the control switch, but they only work if you magically pick the right side.  So, if you get it hooked up and it doesn't work, change sides of the switch.

I hope this helps.  The sets certainly are not user friendly.

rons_railroad

Hi,
The sets certainly are not user friendly. You can say that again!

But I think I figured it out!

1. connect all the controller switches together ie: Daisey Chined one after the other.
and mount where needed. 

2. connect red wire with the one end that has exposed ends for power, to the one end of the Daisey Chined controller switches.

3. connect a green wire to each controller switch, and the other end to the wire leading from the switch track. (now I don't know if they will be correctly wired so that all are phased to the same direction, but reversing the connection to the switch track will correct that issue.)

4. The other red wire that has a connector on both ends connects directly to the end prongs on the Daisey Chined controller switches to power the main track for the whole layout.

Now mind you none of this is talked about on the DVD nor any info sheet is in the box with the layout!

Backmann really goofed up on this!

Ron:)

Quote from: faduckeggs on November 14, 2009, 07:02:20 PM
Ron, we just bought the same set and it is also missing instructions.  In fact, I logged on specifically to ask this same question.

As far as we've been able to figure out:

1)  You can only power one switch per outlet, even though the set comes with multiple switch tracks. 
2)  The switch track has to be close enough to where your power control hooks into the main track that they can share a controller.
3)  Our set came with tons of unneeded wires.  You only need the red wires with the exposed ends.

There is a black three-prong switch.  You plug into this switch two things:  one side plugs with the green wires from the switch track; the other side plugx with a red wire that has exposed ends.  The third prong on the switch stays bare.

Once plugged into the switch, hook that red wire into the controller, one exposed wire into each opening on the front of the controller.

The green and red wires can fit into either side of the control switch, but they only work if you magically pick the right side.  So, if you get it hooked up and it doesn't work, change sides of the switch.

I hope this helps.  The sets certainly are not user friendly.

ABC

It's not that hard to figure out, seriously a 10 year old could do it. I wonder if you just buy a single powered E-Z track turnout, if instructions are included?

jbsmith

did you WATCH the DVD? ???

"Dear Ron,
Have fun!
the Bach-man"

rons_railroad

Ok, the track plan is on the box, I give you that.

The question is did you watch the DVD! I would like to know which DVD version you've watched? Since this track boxed set may have been sold as different release, and the DVD your talking about maybe in a newer releases. I may have had an older version compared to the one your talking about??? I don't know?

This DVD did not cover the topic of connecting the wiring relating to the control switches and track switches! I had to figure the rest out myself, no thanks to Bachmann.

Ron.

Quote from: jbsmith on November 16, 2009, 12:31:26 PM
did you WATCH the DVD? ???

"Dear Ron,
Have fun!
the Bach-man"

jbsmith

I suppose the most important part is you eventualy got it figured out succesfully.  8)
The good part is now that you know how you will never forget how to do it! ;D

DVD Version? Could be.

Jhanecker2

Since you haven't blown the turnouts , I assume you connected the red(power)wire to the AC (accessory) output of your your power supply to power the turnout control switches. Phasing the turnouts is just a matter of connecting the green wire & activating the push buttons one by one to see if the connections are correct. If not, turn over the one end of the green wire rre-insert  & retest .   Do not connect the track power DC to the tunout power  AC. It tends to fry solenoids .  J2.

rons_railroad

Hi, J2
Yes, the following I posted I had to rethink before connecting up and powering the lot.

"4. The other red wire that has a connector on both ends connects directly to the end prongs on the Daisey Chined controller switches to power the main track for the whole layout." <---my incorrect assumption!

I connected the control switches to the AC Accessory, and powered the main track from the DC.
I realized that I would have a problem with the DC when I thought that the control switches needed constant even current.

Quote from: Jhanecker2 on November 17, 2009, 11:12:19 AM
Since you haven't blown the turnouts , I assume you connected the red(power)wire to the AC (accessory) output of your your power supply to power the turnout control switches. Phasing the turnouts is just a matter of connecting the green wire & activating the push buttons one by one to see if the connections are correct. If not, turn over the one end of the green wire rre-insert  & retest .   Do not connect the track power DC to the tunout power  AC. It tends to fry solenoids .  J2.

Jhanecker2

Hi Ron .  I forgot to mention that the push buttons are to be pressed just momentarily. solenoids are also very susceptable burning out if power is applied to long , the coils are wound with very fine wire with limited life under power. I have to admit it is convient to have the turnout machinery stashed out of the way and out of sight.

rons_railroad

Hi,
The kit came with slide switches that go from side to side. I'm running DC not DCC.
So I don't know if that applies to these switches?

Quote from: Jhanecker2 on November 18, 2009, 11:37:28 AM
Hi Ron .  I forgot to mention that the push buttons are to be pressed just momentarily. solenoids are also very susceptable burning out if power is applied to long , the coils are wound with very fine wire with limited life under power. I have to admit it is convient to have the turnout machinery stashed out of the way and out of sight.