News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

USRA 0-6-0

Started by Railnut87, November 20, 2009, 01:33:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Railnut87

Good afternoon, I recently just purchased a Bachmann 0-6-0 in the Erie Railroad. I'm still waiting for it to come but I just wanted see if anyone has these and what their take is on them? Good runners? It says they smoke too, how good is this feature and how excatly does it work? Thanks!
Michael A. Burke

ABC

It is decent, they do have some down falls. To use the smoke machine, you put the smoke fluid in the smokestack, but the problem with the smoke machine is that unless you run the loco at full speed for a while it does not work. Don't count on using the smoke if you plan to run it realistic scalar speeds. It's a $40 loco, you get what you pay for.

Railnut87

I see, thank you. Seeing that theres not much on the market for steam locomotives that have a smoke feature, I figure it be a neat little cheap buy! Maybe once I get it, I'll be able to somehow upgrade the smoke machine..See how it goes though!
Michael A. Burke

Chris350

MTH, BLI and others are spec'ing smoke generators standard on their steam locos.  they aren't $40 locomotives though.  You can usually add Suethe units to many steamers with a little work.  I think it's fun once in a while, but I dislike the residue and the smell really.   MTH markets "scented" smoke oils.....

jdmike

Speaking of the 0-6-0, 2-6-2 and the old B&O 2-8-2 with the elesco feed water heater.  Is Bachmann planning to ever upgrade these models with a can motor drive system instead of the horrible disc motor?   I always loved the squat B&O 2-8-2 with the elesco feedwater heater overhanging the headlight.  But the running qualities were poor at best.  The 0-6-0 and 2-6-2 are great small layout engines, but again need an updated drive chassis.   Any chance of seeing an upgrade Bach Man?