Reverse Module & Bachmann # 93939 Street Car

Started by Jack F, November 18, 2009, 01:23:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack F

I could use some help here. Two years ago I purchased a Bachmann Christmas Street Car/Trolley. G scale, 17' of track, two bumpers, a MRC Reverse Module # AD 520 and a MRC Transformer # 1370 from a local train shop.
My goal was to place this above our sliding glass doors and have the Car go back & forth along the track via the bumpers & reverse module.

I still to this day cannot get this to work. I found that the Car itself was defective so returned it and got a Bachmann G scale closed street car model 93939 in return.

I have hooked this up according to the directions I received and it just won't go back & forth. If I disconnect the reverse module wires, it will go straight on the track with the transformer at around half power.

I even attended a couple of local train shows to seek advise and was told that the wiring diagram was correct.

So, does anyone have any suggestions as what I might do to make this work? As you can see, I am a complete novice at this. Just would like to have this up for the holidays.  Many Thanks

whundt

I have a similar problem. I have a Bachmann EZ Track. I had a transformer already, & hooked it up. It will run the train forward ( fast), but it won't run backwards & I can't slow it down. What am I doing wrong,, & where can I get a Bachmann transformer to go with this setup? Thanx

Jim Banner

Jack F,
While the AD520 is primarily designed for automatically changing track phase with DCC reverse loops, wyes, etc., it can also reverse dc.  One way of doing this is to set up a track with two isolated end sections.  Each of these end sections has to be at least as long as the street car and has to have gaps (or insulated rail joiners) in both rails to electrically insulate it from the main line that runs between the end sections.   Next, your power pack has to be wired to the two end sections in such a way that the street car will try to run from the end section to the main line without touching the reversing switch.    If you put the street car on an end section and it tries to run off the end of the track (or hits the bumpers) then you have to reverse the connections to that end.  Once you have tested one end section, then test the other.

At this point the street car cannot run on the main line because there are no electrical connections to it.  This is where the AD520 comes in.  Connect the input wires (the ones that normally go to the DCC Command station or the DCC main line) to one of the end sections (NOT to the main line.)  Connect the output wires (the ones that with DCC would go to the reverse loop) to the mainline.  Put the street car in the middle of the mainline and turn on the power.  You can adjust the speed control but do not move the reversing switch.   The street car should move toward one end or the other.  When the wheels reach the gaps in the rails, the street car should reverse.

If the street car does not reverse, then it will either continue to the end of the track or it will stop at the gaps.  If it continues to the end of the track, then you didn't connect that end section properly or someone changed the reversing switch on the power pack.  If it stops on the gaps, then your power pack is not putting out enough power to trigger the AD520 reversing module.  The MRC 1370 is a small scale power pack and is not recommended for large scale.  It may be able to run the street car but not trigger the AD520 - you will find that out when you follow the above steps.  The only other thing that could cause your street car to stop at the gaps would be wiring that was too small in diameter for its length (try some #18 lamp cord instead) or the AD520 is faulty.

whundt,
I assume we are talking H0 or 0n30 here.  And I assume we are talking about a power pack (puts out dc) and not a transformer (puts out ac.)  It sounds to me like you have the track connected to the fixed dc output of the power pack instead of a variable output.  The variable output may also be labelled "track" or "rails" if this is a model railroad power pack.  If it has only two terminals and no built in direction control, then it is probably a power pack from a race car set.  It no controls at all, it may be an accessory pack.  Sometimes power packs develop a fault where the speed control will not work but I don't think I have ever seen a commercial pack where the direction control failled as well.

Your local hobby shop or any one of many online hobby dealers should be able to supply you with a Bachmann 44212 DC controller.  This is a two piece power pack consisting of a wall wart transformer plus the power control unit itself.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.