News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Discovering Varney

Started by jonathan, December 03, 2009, 05:03:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RAM

Varney super locomotives of the 30s and 40s were the best on the market.  At $49.95 it was no steal at the time.  The kits came in a four box set.  You could buy one box at a time.  The last two (4-6-0 & 2-8-0) locomotives that they came out with were low end models.

ebtnut

RAM:  Right you are.  The Casey Jones and Old Lady were about one modest step above "shake the box".  But they were decent entry-level kits to get folks started with steam models back in the day.  Get them under your belt and you were about ready to tackle Penn Line or Bowser models.

jonathan

Well...

I am feeling so inspired, that I have pulled the oldest loco I have.  If memory serves, this is the first loco grandpa got in 1947, when he got the bug.  In those days, a lot of new modelers used a 12v battery wired to the track.  That's what my dad says anyway.   

It's now sitting on the bench, waiting to be disassembled.  This has moved to the top of the project list.  I've contacted Bowser, to see what they can find in the way of detail kits and/or spare parts.  There's not much left these days.

I'll start a new thread, when I have all the parts I can get.  I'll be loaded with questions about special tools, painting the metal body, motor replacement, etc.

Why is this so fascinating to me?  Who knows... it just is.

Regards,

Jonathan