News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

On30 Modeling Project

Started by Ezra_Sharp, November 23, 2009, 10:32:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ezra_Sharp

Hey guys!

Yes, I've got an On30 locomotive project that has become very frustrating. Its still literally on the drawing board.

Its a "Winan's" style 0-8-0 camelback for On30. I had originaly wanted to use an old MDC Roundhouse "Modern" 2-8-0 kit I have but the drivers are too small, astheticaly, and they dont't have that "old time" narrow gauge look either. But I have noticed that the drivers from the Bachmann 2-6-0 have the right diamiter, visualy, and the "look" I want. But that would require building my own frame which I don't have the skill to build.

My most recent thought was using the BLI (Brodway Limited Imports) On30 C-16 chassis. But I don't know who long the wheel base is and what the diamiter of the drivers are. If anyone can help me I'd be very much obliged!

ebtbob

Ezra,

Measuring with a scale rule,  the drivers measure out at 36 inches and from the center of the pilot wheel to the center of the fourth driver is 18 feet.
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

Ezra_Sharp

Ok, that does help a good bit. But do you know what the Drive Wheel diamiters are?

Ezra_Sharp

Oh, never mind. I miss read your reply.  :-[  Very Much Obliged for the info ebtbob!  ;D

rich19

Hi,

why not take a "cheap" 2-8-2, 4-8-2 or 4-8-4 with larger driving wheels and use that as a basis?

In order to improve the optics (19th century looks), you could
- cut away every second spoke as well as
- attach bigger counterweights that look more "old time". Did that on a project and it looked quite good actually.

Richard

scottychaos

Quote from: Ezra_Sharp on November 23, 2009, 10:32:42 PM
but the drivers are too small, astheticaly, and they dont't have that "old time" narrow gauge look either.

You do know the Winans Camels were not narrow gauge? ;)
just checking..

but still, there is no reason you cant make one in On30 and "say" its narrow gauge! nothing wrong with that....im just not sure why you would want a "narrow gauge look" when the prototype didnt have a "narrow gauge look"..

I would just build a model as close as possible in On30, and then you have a nice model of a camel that just happens to be 30" gauge..
"narrow gauge look" simply isnt part of the equation..IMO..

Scot

Ezra_Sharp

Well, I have been fascinated by the Winans Camel since Childhood. And yes, I'm more than aware of the fact that they were NOT narrow gauge.

I am a freelance modeler and even my future On30 layout is fictional. Albeit I've taken inspiration mostly from Colorado Narrow Gauge. And I'm a sucker for odd and unique locomotives. Another reason why I want to make an On30 Winan's style Camel is also because they had a terrific service record, the last Camel being retired sometime in the late 1890's. So why not have a small Railroad Co. take interest in the design and build their own version.

Look at it this way, the Oahu Railway & Land Co was so impressed of the D&RGW's K-28 class that they custom order a number to use on their own railway, the only major differences was that the K-28's ordered by the Oahu Railway didn't have the smoke box mounted dual air compressor comonly seen on the D&RGW. Other than that and their paint scheme they were virtual carbon copies.

The only difference between the Hawaiian K-28s and my 30in gauge Camel is that my engine, if this actually happened, is that my Camel would have been home built in stead of ordered/commissioned by a builder. Plus I'd like to test how good my kitbashing skills are.