Spectrum 0-6-0 saddle tank with DCC-on-Board

Started by hotrainlover, November 28, 2009, 07:52:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotrainlover

Has anyone purchased one of these engines?  I have the DCC ready one, that I installed a DZ123 decoder into.  It runs fantastic, and would like another!!

Are there any pros, or cons that I need to know?  I want to ask Santa for one!  Does it have a decoder W/8 pin connector, or have a "board" type one?
Thanks for the help!!

ABC

It is not possible for someone to have the DCC on board versions yet, they have not reached retailers yet, unless they just did so very recently. What I can tell you is that every other Bachmann Spectrum DCC equipped steam locomotive does have an 8-pin plug. (not standard line, like the 0-6-0w/tender that has DCC)

Jim Banner

I haven't seen one of the new DCC on board ones, but I suspect it will have a custom board decoder.  This is a very small locomotive and carving away enough of the weight to accommodate a plug and a socket would probably have an unacceptable effect on performance.

If you like your 0-6-0 with a DZ123, you might try for another DCC ready one and install a DZ125 decoder.  It has all the goodies of the 123 and BEMF control to boot. 

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

CNE Runner

Jim - I got the opportunity to run one of these little 'jewels' on a chap's layout recently...fantastic runner! I only wish Bachmann would put the same running gear into its Plymouth switcher. Thanks for the decoder information update.

Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

rich1998

Quote from: CNE Runner on November 29, 2009, 12:12:50 PM
Jim - I got the opportunity to run one of these little 'jewels' on a chap's layout recently...fantastic runner! I only wish Bachmann would put the same running gear into its Plymouth switcher. Thanks for the decoder information update.

Ray

the 0-6-0t has a lot of gear reduction which makes it a very nice runner. count the gear reduction sometime.

side rods on the plymouth would not look right.  :)

i have the digitrax dz125 decoder in a two motor 44 ton spectum. very nice decoder. quite small.
lex

hotrainlover

Jim,
Yes I had thought of just "Doing it again" to another unit.  It would be CHEAPER, to purchase the DCC-On-Board one from Trainworld.  I paid more for the old unit, (not including the decoder price)  than they advertise the NEW one...  Without the work!!

Yes!  They run superbly!!  I love the unit.  It is a great yard switcher.  Currently it is pulling my Xmas cars with Santa and ALL his reindeer!!

CNE Runner

Lexon - I meant to use just the gear train. On the other hand both Davenports and Whitcombs have side rods. I would imagine the 'secret' to the 0-6-0T's slow running ability is the gear reduction. Having a set of gears (with appropriate reduction) and BEMF would be terrific.

Ray

rich1998

Quote from: CNE Runner on November 29, 2009, 05:06:30 PM
Lexon - I meant to use just the gear train. On the other hand both Davenports and Whitcombs have side rods. I would imagine the 'secret' to the 0-6-0T's slow running ability is the gear reduction. Having a set of gears (with appropriate reduction) and BEMF would be terrific.

Ray

i know, that is why i put the smiley there.

one time i measured the gear reduction and i believe it was about 55 to 1 reduction, did not write down the numbers though.
about fifteen years ago with nwsl gears i re-geared a 4-6-0 loco with 45 to 1 and a 0-4-0 with 70 to 1. they run as good as the 0-6-0t.
lex

CNE Runner

If I ever get caught up on my model railroad projects, if might be fun to purchase another Bachmann Plymouth switcher and see if I can install NSW gearing...something I have never done before. Probably the major drawback is the cost of the gearing verses the 'value' of the intro-line Plymouth.

Lex - I knew you were kidding and I hope you didn't take my reply negatively.

Ray