News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

please help

Started by malta7841, November 29, 2009, 01:27:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

malta7841

Can someone please help me I am new to model railroading i am in the process of making a layout with three separate ovals which have a few remote turnouts can which do not connect to each other. Do I have to use threee separte power packs or can I buy and use Digital comand control system thanks. p.s. also i have two brand new trains that I am running on a track very slow going Is  this because of a cheap power pack and if I buy the DCC will this help improve the speed thank You Joe...

ABC

If your ovals are connected with crossovers or otherwise you only need 1 DCC system. Otherwise you can power each oval individually.

Jim Banner

And if your ovals are not connected by track, they can be connected by the wiring and you will still need only one DCC system.

Your turnouts will either have to be DCC controlled or you will need a separate power source for them.  The latter is slightly more complicated to wire but leaves ALL the DCC power for your trains.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

RAM

Ok Are your locomotives DC or DCC. If they are DC it is not going to help to get a DCC controller

Jim Banner

RAM,
Good catch.  Both ABC and I made assumptions that were not necessarily true.

malta7841,
Are your locomotives dc or DCC on board?

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

phillyreading

Something I was told about DCC, if it says DCC equipped it usually has DCC in the locomotive, if it says DCC ready it has the wire connectors for the DCC stuff to hook up to.
Not sure but I think that if you use DCC you may need a little powerful transformer than the one that comes with a starter set.

Lee F.

ebtnut

If the box says "DCC Equipped", then the model has a decoder installed and is ready to go on you DCC power. Most new DCC equipped models are dual-mode, meaning that they will run fine on straight DC as well.   If the box says "DCC Ready", then the model is wired up for installation of a decoder that must be bought separately and installed by the buyer.  In most cases, installation is simply a matter of removing the body, plugging in the decoder, and reassembling. 

DCC power controllers are usually rated in amps.  In general, with modern models you are safe in assuming about 1/2 amp per loco being run at any one time.  For your 3-0val layout, a 2 amp unit should suffice. 

ABC

In some companies minds DCC ready means that everything has been isolated for the installation of a decoder but there is not an 8 pin or 9 pin plug included and it still must be hardwired.

malta7841

My trains are DCC thanks for all your help guys....