newbie question with EZ command

Started by jun_1.8T, November 30, 2009, 03:59:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jun_1.8T

hi there....

im very new to this hobby and still doing all my research before buying or doing anything. right now im really thorn between DC or DCC. i am getting mixed opinions about this two things. i myself is really leaning towards in getting a DCC set because if this is the future of model trains then might as well start with it already. But some people say that DCC are hard for a beginner to understand while others say that DC is very hard to wire and could cause me some troubles. Im really planning on taking this new hobby as far as i can especially with the layout. So isn't it having a DCC layout a lot easier than DC especially when i plan on expanding in the future???

on the other note....can the bachmann "EZ Command" station control the DCC EZ-Track turnouts and crossovers??? also will the "EZ Command" just work with the EZ-Tracks??? Because im planning on using flex tracks when doing my layout.

Thanks!

ABC

The Bachmann E-Z Command will work with any and all types of track with absolutely no restrictions. The Bachmann E-Z Command cannot control DCC turnouts and crossovers; however, the Bachmann Dynamis can perform this function. DCC does not require that you use multiple blocks and will save you a lot of time. Both DC and DCC require feeder wires to be spaced out on larger layouts. And a Bachmann E-Z Command Station can be purchased for as little as $40.00 w/ s&h

jun_1.8T

thanks for the reply...

now is the dynamis controller any good??? also what are feeder wires???

ABC

The Dynamis Controller has a lot more capabilities than the standard E-Z Command System in that in can program CVs has twice as many function buttons to control sounds and smoke units where applicable. It is wireless and uses infrared to communicate back to the station. It can be had for a little as $100.00 including shipping costs.
Feeder wires are wires coming from either your DCC system or DC controller so the power reaches all parts of the layout equally on larger layouts.

jun_1.8T

i see....thanks!

now im planning on having a layout which is like 12'x5' in an L-shape configuration. with that size do i need to have those feeder wires?? if so...how do you go about doing this??

thanks a lot im really learning a lot :)

ABC

Soldier the wires to the track equally spaced throughout the layout, you can check if you need to do so by using a multimeter and testing all the parts of the layout.

Jim Banner

jun_1.8T,
I was going to email this to you as it is off topic, but I see your email is hidden so I will post it here.

By the time you are ready to start laying flex track, you might want to ask for some tips on how to do it.  One problem with flex track is its tendency to kink at joints that are in curves.

ABC,
I am curious about how you use a multimeter and test all the parts of the layout to check if you need the equally spaced wires.  I have never seen it explained on this board and I rarely make it to other boards.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

ggreens

DCC needs a "special" meter to test voltage.  You can purchase them online.  The dcc meter is very easy to use.  You can move it down each section of track and pinpoint problems with each connection

ABC

Quote from: ggreens on December 01, 2009, 08:36:15 AM
DCC needs a "special" meter to test voltage.  You can purchase them online.  The dcc meter is very easy to use.  You can move it down each section of track and pinpoint problems with each connection
Exactement!

Jim Banner

Very interesting.  What happens when you get to a bad section of track?  Does the voltage change?  And what is special about the meter?

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.