News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Mystery black stuff

Started by Georgeuu, November 29, 2009, 06:43:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Georgeuu

Hi,

I am very new to this hobby so please forgive my ignorance. I just purchased a Spectrum 2-10-2 locomotive online and there was a small plastic bag with some black powder packed with the train. What is it and what is it for?

Thanks

George

jonathan

George,

Welcome to the world's greatest hobby!--Most of us think so anyway. :)

That bag of black stuff is extra coal for your tender.  You can spread a little white glue on the existing coal and sprinkle some of the bag o' black stuff on top,  for a more realistic look--so I'm told.  It's optional and I opted out.

Many of us wondered what that bag was for, when we received our first Spectrum steamer.  Not to worry... for some reason that bag was left off the intructions.

Congratulations on your new locomotive.  When you have questions about turning radius and maintenance, we'll be here.

Regards,

Jonathan

CNE Runner

George - I used that 'little black bag' on one of my Bachmann Spectrum American 4-4-0 locomotives; and it looks great. As Jonathan said; use white glue (or matte medium) to secure the 'coal' to your tender (it is also a good idea to sprinkle a little on the tender water tank [key phrase: a little] as there was always some coal spillage when a tender was refilled.

You could also use the 'coal' as a scenic enhancement around coaling towers, coal depots, or around a coal storage house. I advise you not to throw it out if you decided not to use it on your locomotive...you will find a use for it in the future.

Welcome to our family,
Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

Georgeuu

Thanks for the quick response. I suspected it may have been coal but I wanted to make sure. Since you mentioned turning radii, I thought that I had read that a 2-10-2 couldn't turn on anything less than a 22" radius. Could you please confirm that for me?

I would thankful for any other information that you think is important for a novice.  I know that could be a tremendous volume of information, but if you could help to avoid some of the more common mistakes I would appreciate it.

I purchased an EZ Command DCC controller, the Spectrum 2-10-2 and a Spectrum 4-4-0. I also have some DC engines and a small DC power pack.

Thanks again.

George

CNE Runner

George - Rather than list a whole host of pitfalls; we will be here to answer any question you may have as they develop (either in real time or during the planning stage).

All of my recent layouts (those constructed within the past 8 years or so) have been switching layouts. I mention this because I do not have much in the way of experience with curves. I can tell you that the Spectrum 4-4-0s have no problem with Peco small radius turnouts (which approximate a #5). Probably the best advice is to plan the largest radii you can manage...it will pay dividends in the future.

Regarding your DC locomotives: Unless they have a considerable amount of sentimental value - or are valuable (i.e. brass) - I think I wouldn't bother converting them to DCC. Having said that, just about any locomotive can be converted to DCC (DCC + sound may be a different matter...based upon the size of the locomotive). As with anything...the larger your wallet - the more the impossible becomes possible.

If anything confusing 'crops up' et us know and be assured there is someone with the expertise and experience to come to your assistance.

Regards,
Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

jonathan

George,

As you are just getting started, I'm guessing you are thinking of starting small... some kind of basic layout on a 4' X 8' sheet of plywood supported by some sort of legs.  That would be a good call... keeping it simple, at first, will help you learn quickly.  You will also figure out what kinds of questions you need to ask.  A sectional track set up with 22" radius curves, will allow your 2-10-2 to negotiate the track with no problem.  The loco will fit on the track, and the track will fit on the 4by8 plywood.  If you wish to set up an inner oval with 18" radius curves, the 4-4-0 will negotiate that with no problem.  If you plan on turnouts (switches), the 2-10-2 will need #6 turnouts to run reliably.

Ray is correct about listing one question at a time.  However, since you're asking for general advice at first, I would be remiss if I didn't mention maintenance.  Your steamers are well lubed on the inside.  Bachmann has a reputation for going a little overboard on gear oil.  However, the steam engine drive rods, and crank pins (the bearing attached to the drive wheels) really need a touch of very light oil, so they don't wear down too quickly.  Everyone has their favorites, but I use Conductalube.  It comes with a needle applicator, so you can add very tiny drops (important). The oil is light, plastic compatible, and helps in conducting current flow to your locomotives.  Conductalube has various other useful applications, and a little goes a long way.  The bottle will last years!  Those are great machines you just got and it is possible to make them last for many, many years, with proper care.

I put the soapbox away.  When you have a question, ask away.

Regards,

Jonathan 

Jim Banner

Speaking of coal, you are now part of an elite group who is only too happy to find a lump of coal in this stocking on Christmas morning.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Chris350

Quote from: Jim Banner on November 29, 2009, 08:45:26 PM
Speaking of coal, you are now part of an elite group who is only too happy to find a lump of coal in this stocking on Christmas morning.

Jim
he he never thought of it that way...
Wait what's this Christmas you speak of?  Is that the Holiday that corresponds with the busiest two weeks of the winter in my Utah Resort town?  I'm never sure what happens during those two weeks, except I work a lot and there are lots of people around.....  ::)

jward

a word on securing that coal in the tender....

instead of using white glue full strength, you may find it easier to work with thinned to 50% with water, and brushed on with a paint brush before adding the coal. alternately you can add the coal to the tender first, then "wet" it with rubbing alcohol applied with an eyedropper. add the same 50% glue mixture direct from the bottle, allowing it to saturate the coal. i prefer the latter method as it seems to bond better that way.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

full maxx

Hey I want some coal in my stocking
look up FullMaxx1 on youtube or check the blog for the lastest updates  www.crumbsinmycouch.com

hotrainlover

Last Xmas my Santa left me a BIG bag of Coal from Woodland Scenics.  (I think it was from there)
Bachmann DOES sell scenery supplies now.....!

PS  So I will try to be on the NAUGHTY list again!! :D