News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Berkshire 2-8-4 Loco

Started by Dale, December 02, 2009, 09:51:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dale

Hi guys!
   Just new to the board and had a question for anybody who is up on this stuff. I recently purchased a Bachmann Berkshire 2-8-4 DCC equipped Loco and was wondering if it is possible to put a sound card in it. I am a rookie at this stuff,as my son and I are just getting into the hobby! Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Dale

jonathan

Welcome, Dale!

I do not own a Berkshire.  However, I notice in the diagram sheet that the decoder (in the tender) is the type that is attached with a plug.  Also, the tender already has a speaker mounting area (facing down).  Theoretically, you should be able to unplug the standard decoder and replace it with a sound equipped decoder.  Some sound decoders come with speakers attached.  Some decoders require you to buy the speaker separately.  Depends on how much you want to spend.

Lastly, be aware that different decoders draw different amounts of current (amps).  You need one that is rated for the current draw of your locomotive. 

I'm sure someone with more expertise will chime in, if you can hang in there a little longer.

Hope that help a little.

Regards,

Jonathan

ebtbob

Dale,

If you want to put sound in your Berk,  consider using the Soundtraxx Tsunami heavy steam decoder.   The chuff is a sticatto type chuff that the Berks gave off.   I think you would enjoy it very much.
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

lmackattack

Yes that loco has a 8 pin plug in the tender shell. If you want to get real trick  a QSI has a sound file for a C&O Berkshire. Its basicly a match for a NKP Berkshire except I think the whistle is diffrent from the real loco?

http://www.qsisolutions.com/products/techinfo/revolution/q-revo_codes_steam.html

jdmike

I am getting ready to put a Tsunami in my Bachmann NKP Berkshire, I plan to use one of the QSI Super Bass speakers on recomendations of another NKP Modeler.   I also have a Proto 2K NKP Berk with working mars light, but no dcc or sound, so its next to get the good stuff.   Might try the QSI Revolution A sound board in that one.    I will report back once I start putting the sound in.    Mike

Dale

Thanks Guys for all your feedback, we'll give it a go and I'll let you no how I make out.
                                                                          Dale

BestSnowman

I had not realized the Bachmann Berk had sound baffles in it... I was not planning on installing sound in any of my current locos as I didn't want to deal with the trouble... but now that its a decoder swap and installing a speaker my train wish list just got a little longer.
-Matthew Newman
My Layout Blog