News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Snow

Started by John Honeck Sr, December 02, 2009, 04:53:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Honeck Sr

I'm building a small HO layout for under the Christmas tree. I will have a small mountain, and I want to make it a winter scene. What is the easy way to make snow or what company has snow, or can I make my own snow.
Thanks for the help, John

full maxx

the guy at the hobby shop said he makes his own snow with sifted baking power or flour and just vacuums it up when he's done with it
look up FullMaxx1 on youtube or check the blog for the lastest updates  www.crumbsinmycouch.com

ABC

Quote from: full maxx on December 02, 2009, 05:12:23 PM
the guy at the hobby shop said he makes his own snow with sifted baking power or flour and just vacuums it up when he's done with it
Small particles and fibers can be detrimental to HO engines.

Jim Banner

I suspect flour might attract vermin.  Baking soda has been used for years.  One of its advantages is that the particles are angular and tend to stick together.  Just be sure to keep it dry, which might be a problem if you are setting up under a real tree.  Wet baking soda can be corrosive, particularly around aluminum and aluminum alloys.

Backing soda can indeed cause operational problems but not not by abrasion (it is only 2.4 on the mohs scale - your finger nail is 2.5.)  The problem is that it can draw the oil out of bushings which are then too dry to work properly.  If you find you are having to set the speed controller higher than normal, relubricate the locomotive.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

jerryl

Go with the Woodlands scenic.....Works well & won't bother anything.  Jerry

hunter2115

I just finished a simple Christmas tree layout using foam insulation board and after experimenting with several "snow" materials, I simply carved the foam into shape and painted "snow" with flat white ceiling paint. I added a tunnel and a few Hawthorne Village Christmas lighted buildings bought on Ebay and it looks great!