News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

double cross over

Started by full maxx, December 11, 2009, 08:02:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

full maxx

look up FullMaxx1 on youtube or check the blog for the lastest updates  www.crumbsinmycouch.com

jbsmith

Cross overs yes.
Double cross over, no.
IF you decide to get this,,you should be able to find some cork bed  or some other material to compensate for the ez-track roadbed height .

Let us know how it works out if you do!

full maxx

decided to get a right and left crossover by Bachmann to stay with the rest of the track...how many people use different types of track on the same layout
look up FullMaxx1 on youtube or check the blog for the lastest updates  www.crumbsinmycouch.com

Jim Banner

You can make up a double cross-over with four turnouts and a crossing, but it usually puts the parallel tracks farther apart.

If you have room, you can use a left hand crossover plus a right hand crossover.  Real railroads prefer this arrangement because it eliminates a crossing, which is always a troublesome appliance.

There isn't a problem with using different kinds of track together.  On my layout, I have nickel-silver, brass and steel rails on plastic sectional ties, plastic flex ties. fiber flex ties, hand laid on wooden ties, with roadbeds made of cork, plywood, plastic and plaster.  They all look just fine together when they are ballasted.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

full maxx

so I guess as long as they are the same height off the ties it really doesn't matter ... like code 83 or 100 , do all the different types of track fit together with the same joiners

pdlethbridge

They even have code 83 to code 100 joiners, so that's not a problem. The big thing is to make sure that the track is all the same height from the base board. There is a .017" difference between code 83 and 100. Thats not much. A 1/64" maybe.

ABC

Quote from: full maxx on December 12, 2009, 02:37:03 AM
do all the different types of track fit together with the same joiners
No, but Atlas makes transition joiners for Code 100 to 83 and I've seen them for code 83 to code 70.

lwmlwm44

I also was looking for a double crossover that was completely assembled and DCC ready........since Bachmann didn't have one I ended up buying 2 single crossovers of theirs and put them together, they work grand

Larry

full maxx

I got two of them also but for the intention of a double oval with one on each side of the straight aways...switches and siding will come later ... I just wanted more than just a single oval for my little boy the morning of, gotta have the wow factor