News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

How to use left/right hand turns?

Started by arbasu, December 06, 2009, 06:51:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

arbasu

I have a Bachmann set with grey tracks and a DCC. If I have to use left and right hand turn tracks do I have to buy the tracks that come with switch or can I use the DCC to switch the tracks somehow?

As you can see it is a newbie question.

ABC

Do you mean turnouts?
If you have a DCC controller capable of switching DCC turnouts you can purchase DCC turnouts and use your DCC system to switch those turnouts. However, if you buy standard turnouts with solenoid switches, then I would suggest you buy a separate power source (Power Pack) to supply power to switch the turnouts. Using the Power Pack or System providing power to the rails will cause your locomotive to slow down or stop entirely.

arbasu

Yes turnouts - sorry!
Do you mean I have to buy product# 44565 and #44566?
They come with some switches. Does that mean I have to manually push that switch for the train to turn into the left or right track or can I control that somehow using the DCC?

Sorry for the not-so-smart questions.

ABC

You have to use the solenoid switches (the black box pictured bottom right), to throw non-DCC turnouts, you cannot throw these switches with your DCC system.  Product numbers 44565 and 44566 cannot be thrown using the DCC system (but can technically be powered, but it is not advised).
You must use either
E-Z Command® DCC #5 Turnout - Left
Product Information
    * manual or DCC operation*
    * compatible with all NMRA-compliant DCC systems
    * quick, easy installation and programming
    * no special wiring or control boxes needed
      *not designed for DC-powered layouts
Product Code: 44132
or
E-Z Command® DCC #5 Turnout - Right
Product Information