Bachmann Lighted Passenger Cars Compatible with DCC Layout

Started by RDHowl, December 04, 2009, 12:50:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RDHowl

I've been told not to attempt to put lighted Bachmann passenger cars on a DCC layout.  Can anyone out there shed some light (no pun intended) on why this is a bad idea?

ABC

I think the reasoning may be that it has too many volts for the interior lights and will make them burnout quicker. But I'm sure Jim Banner will be able to help you.

BestSnowman

Thats a good question, I have a pair I've had on my layout for a while but don't really get a whole lot of use. They don't cause problems with other locos while I've got them on track, they may burn out sooner but they aren't really that bright on mine anyway so I'm not too concerned personally.
-Matthew Newman
My Layout Blog

jonathan

Don't know if this will help, but here goes....

I have a DC layout.  My power packs are 14 volt MRC Tech something or others.  I have to push the power to 80% (11.2 volts?) to even see that the lights are on.  This is with my Bachmann Silver Series Amtrak passenger cars.

This is only a GUESS, but I suspect someone in the design phase already took into account the 15 volts that DCC puts on the rails.  I'm sure the lights burn brighter (more visible) on a DCC layout, but I think the car lights could handle it.  This is only a GUESS.

I know someone who could give us a headache with the right answer :D.

Assuming, of course, that person has used these particular cars on his layout.

Jonathan

RDHowl

Thanks all for the responses. 
I went ahead and tried the car and so far all is well.  You guy's were right on in that the lights are quite brite.  So far heat doesn't seem to be an issue.  We'll see how long they last.  Thanks for the help.