News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Varney Dockside Switcher

Started by jonathan, December 09, 2009, 05:14:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jonathan

Oh Man, did I pick the wrong goo!  I only used it because I had a whole gallon of it the previous owners of this house had left behind.  Once again, trying to save a buck makes more trouble than it's worth.  Will I ever learn?

Oh well, a couple more days and the last of the paint should be gone anyway.  Plus, I am able to take my time drilling a hole here and there, then stick it back in the mayonnaise jar.

There are no preset drilling points, but I am going to put the two roundy grabirons around the smoke box.  These are the last of the holes to be drilled.  I've been studying a photo to try to get the placement right.

Oh, a by-the-way question:  I drilled two holes in the back (points were there).  Does anyone know if that is a handrail location?  I really suspect a ladder goes there, but I can't find a photo of the rear of the locomotive.

Regards,

Jonathan

jerryl

After stripping you may want file & sand down the parting lines on the body. They do show up in your pictures...Jerry

jonathan

Since, those pics were taken, I have been filing, sanding (600 grit) and brinelling everything that looks like it doesn't belong.  If I miss something, I hope it shows up after the first layer of primer goes on. That won't be for a while.  I've lots of grabiron stuff to mount first.  I forgot to ask, but I need a whistle, too.  Hopefully, yardbird has one to send.

Thanks,

Jonathan

ebtnut

I don't think you need to worry about soaking in vinegar.  This has been suggested for brass models to give a bit of "tooth" to the surface.  But cast metal is somewhat porus already.  Normally, all you need to do is wash the parts well in a good dish detergent and let dry thoroughly before painting. 

jonathan

ebtnut,

With all the detail I'm adding to this shell, I'm starting to get a little nervous about the paint job.  I'm getting to the "better safe than sorry" stage.  If I dip this non-brass item in vinegar, can I hurt it? or will pickling likely do neither good nor damage?

Small update:  since I couldn't find a photo of the rear of the prototype, I've decided to add a ladder to the back.  The other option was just a plain grabiron.  The ladder will look more impressive.  My plan is to hold off on any more photos until I have the thing primed and ready to paint.  That will be a good spot to get advice.

Looking forward to all the upgrades from Yardbird.

Regards,

Jonathan

jonathan

Paint Removal:  it's gotten to where I am scraping the last of the paint with a jewelers screwdriver (between the rivets).  I'm quickly reaching a point it's going to have to be good enough.

Parts:  I placed order online for parts and a motor.  Called (left message) and emailed (no response).  I'll give Dan at Yardbird a little more time.  I know he's moving to a new location.

In the meantime, I've been playing with miniature metalwork.  I'm not that good, admittedly.  But anything is an improvement to my Little Joe.

Here's a few pics.  Grabirons aren't permanent at this point (press fit).  Never did find a photo of the back of this loco.... so I made a ladder for it.

Enjoy!

tac

Quote from: jonathan on December 14, 2009, 07:32:39 PM
ebtnut,

With all the detail I'm adding to this shell, I'm starting to get a little nervous about the paint job.  I'm getting to the "better safe than sorry" stage.  If I dip this non-brass item in vinegar, can I hurt it? or will pickling likely do neither good nor damage?

Small update:  since I couldn't find a photo of the rear of the prototype, I've decided to add a ladder to the back.  The other option was just a plain grabiron.  The ladder will look more impressive.  My plan is to hold off on any more photos until I have the thing primed and ready to paint.  That will be a good spot to get advice.

Looking forward to all the upgrades from Yardbird.

Regards,

Jonathan

Your Varney body-shell is made of an alloy called either MAZAK [Europe] or ZAMAK [USA] and dousing it in vinegar will only make it taste funny.

It has already need recommended that you give it a thorough clean in hot water with a toothbrush and scouring powder, and then let it dry and do not handle it with bare hands to avoid getting oily fingerprints on it.  Then use any of the quality etching primers available for hobby duties.  Allow at least 48 hours drying time, then spray it with the colour of your choice - again leaving it 48 hours before handling it.

tac
www.ovgrs.org

jonathan

Got it.  Scrub it good, let dry, don't get fingerprints on it.  No problem.

Thanks,

J

jonathan

The Motor and decals are in the mail!  Valve gears won't be ready until spring.  That's gives me a chance to think about how badly I want to add additional moving parts.

Regards,

Jonathan

jonathan

Bearing in mind I've never done this before....  here she is with a coat of primer.  I used cotton gloves to place the pieces on the frame.  It has been drying for 26 hours at this point.

I decided I like my homemade stanchions and grabirons... gives my offspring something to talk about to their offspring.  It won't be a museum piece, but I like it.  Hopefully there's a grandson who'll want to tinker with it one day. 

Regards,

Jonathan

full maxx

I think it looks really good so far
look up FullMaxx1 on youtube or check the blog for the lastest updates  www.crumbsinmycouch.com

With all the effort so far you might want to try the Valve Gear. You have gone all out and the "extra moving parts" could be the crowning glory for this little Dockside. Very nice.

jerryl

RIGHT...that engine cries for valve gear.   Jerry

Johnson Bar Jeff

Quote from: jerryl on December 16, 2009, 09:41:08 AM
RIGHT...that engine cries for valve gear.   Jerry

I agree!

(But then I don't have to put the valve gear together. ...  ;)  ;D )

Woody Elmore

Very nice primer job. Your homemade stanchions look great - who could tell that they're not stock.

Do try to get valve gear. I noticed that you have a main rod and riveted crosshead. I think that you may need to change these once you have obtained valve gear.

A project like you are doing is never ending and a lot of fun.

You are doing a really great job. Perhaps next you should rejuvente a Varney Casey Jones or another engine from that era.