News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

rail car letters

Started by mf5117, December 09, 2009, 06:43:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mf5117

I was sitting at a crossing waiting on a train to go by, and was wondering how do I read what the letters mean just above the wheel trucks . Like on the tank cars some had GATX,MITX,NMMD I saw 6 or 7 different letter combonations and usually a set of numbers below the 4 letter combonations . Are they city and state abbreviations and rail car numbers for that particular rail car   

ABC

GATX is a leasing company that leases railroad equipment (a lot of them tank cars) among other types. In particular the 3 you mentioned (GATX, MITX & NMMD) are the owners or leasers of the equipment.

mf5117

hey thanks ABC regards Mark f

mf5117

I was thinking like the GATX was "Galveston texas" the MITX was " Midland Texas " I think I understand now .     When I was a in Kansas City MO.  working at the Cargill Plant ,they make soybean oil . they gave us HO tank cars with the Cargill lettering and thats why I asked the question  . thanks again     

az2rail

If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either.

ABC

Quote from: mf5117 on December 09, 2009, 07:34:07 PM
I was thinking like the GATX was "Galveston texas" the MITX was " Midland Texas " I think I understand now .     When I was a in Kansas City MO.  working at the Cargill Plant ,they make soybean oil . they gave us HO tank cars with the Cargill lettering and thats why I asked the question  . thanks again     
Nope, GATX stands for the General American Marks Company, has absolutely nothing to do with the city, but good try...I'm not sure what the other two stand for...
But I can add this...Marks that end in X are assigned to rail car owners that are not common carrier railroads. These may include private car owners, leasing companies, and railroad museums.

jward

those reporting marks are also on trailers and shipping containers that are in railroad service. trailers have the last letter z, on containers it is u......

Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA