News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

smoke

Started by Honeybunny, December 07, 2009, 11:01:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Honeybunny

I am new to the train set thing.  Bought the Bachmann Night Before Christmas Train Set G Scale 90037 for my first grandson.  Spent the evening putting it together with my son and had a great time.  Max (grandson) will see it for the first time on Wednesday.  He is one, but loves any thing with an engine in it.
I just hope dad and son, enjoy it over the years together.

BUT, once I got it set up and running, we tried to get the smoke to work.  Put the oil  in the chimney and turned the switch on, ran the train, and the smoke just doens't happen.

What am I doing wrong?

NarrowMinded

Hi this subject just came up try this link.

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,11188.0.html

pay special attention the the message from the bachmann

NM

altterrain

Also, you need to run the loco at a pretty fast speed to get the voltage up and get the smoke going.
Maybe just stick a shredded cotton ball in the smoke stack!  ;)

-Brian
President of

Whistlestop24

Honeybunny, I had the same problem when I got my "G" scale Bachmann Pioneer Heavy Hauler.  The set came with only 2 straight track and 8 curve track. I first put it around the christmas tree, and with that short of track,  you can't really get the train up to speed. So, yesterday, I went to a local hobby shop and bought 14 sections of straight track.  I took the train from around the Christmas Tree, and put it down on the floor of the Rec Room in the basement. I now have a large ovel, and can bring the train up to number 7 to 7 1/2  on the speed dial. Before I could only take it to 5 or 5 1/2. I have 2 straights between the 1st and 2nd curve, 7 sections down the back straight, 2 straights between the 3rd and 4th curve, and another 7 straight sections down the front. Now that I'm able to bring the engine up to a constant higher speed, the engine smokes a lot better.  I'm under the understanding that these engines won't produce heavy smoke puffing out like the old American Flyers with Choo-Choos did.. But it is a nice steady smoke..   Whistlestop24

Whistlestop24

Honeybunny, A correction. My set came with 4 straights and 8 curves.. I told you 2 curves before.. Sorry about that..   Whistlestop24

Joe Satnik

It takes 12 pieces to make a circle with Bachmann G track.  Ovals also need 12.

360 degrees per circle/12 pieces per circle = 30 degrees each curve track section. 

A 90 degree corner takes 3 curve sections. 

The Bachmann G curves are made to LGB R1 curve dimensions. 
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.