News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Removing Loco Cover

Started by boatdealerwfreetime, December 14, 2009, 06:22:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

boatdealerwfreetime

Hello,

I just got my first oval done to test out some locos that I bought at an auction.  I have a HO GP 40 Conrail and a 8-40CW that are both DCC equipped.  They both run but I would like to replace the decoder with a NCE decoder.

How do you get the entire top off the loco to access the motors and the decoders.  I am guessing that these are not real cheap locos, so I do not want to break anything.  There are a couple others that the tops pull right off and really do not stay on.

Also, from what I read it is well worth the time to replace the decoders.  Is this true?

Any help would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

ABC

I think you can just take the whole shell off. The Dash 8-40CW comes off near the cab. The GP40's decoder is a board I think.

Tylerf

It just depends on what kind of decoder it has, if it's relatively new(ie, digitrax) then it's fine. Possibly an older decoder might need to replaced because it doesent comply to dcc standards but they should be fine. Plus decoders aren't cheap, so if it works don't fix it:)

boatdealerwfreetime

Thanks for the help!  Does anyone make a good pair of wire strippers for that little bity wire?  Also do they make butt connectors?