Main Menu

electrical issolation of loops

Started by Frank W., December 15, 2009, 11:18:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

full maxx

Quote from: D.Harrison on December 22, 2009, 10:07:35 PM
Quote from: Joe Satnik on December 16, 2009, 12:53:10 AM
Dear Frank W., 

Isolation instructions are at the bottom of this page on David Harrison's Acela website:

http://web.mac.com/msibnsf/iWeb/Acela%20Express,%20The%20Need%20For%20Speed/Modeling%20Techniques.html

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Thanks Joe for the reference to my Acela page.  For a decade now, modelers who purchase the Bachmann crossovers are faced with a problem....the crossovers are designed for DCC layouts only.  On a DC layout, insulated railjoiners must be inserted in the "crossover track" to keep the two straight tracks electrically separate.  This can only be done by cutting certain rails on the Bachmann crossovers.  If one is using sectional track, like Atlas, the crossover is not one unit but two opposing switches.  Simply insert the insulating rail joiner between the two switches and viola!!! the straights are electrically separated.

Now why Bachmann designed their crossovers without thjis insulation and when, if ever they will offer DC/DCC crossovers is another story that, like I said is a over a decade old.

David Harrison
Acela Express Portable Layout

Joe Satnik
so am I to understand that the crossovers are not plug n play for straight dc operation and must be altered in order to work for straight dc operation ... I understood from other threads that this was plug n play for dc operation and not dcc
look up FullMaxx1 on youtube or check the blog for the lastest updates  www.crumbsinmycouch.com

full maxx

no where on the pack or in the paperwork does it say dcc
look up FullMaxx1 on youtube or check the blog for the lastest updates  www.crumbsinmycouch.com

full maxx

which are which ...there are three... product number 44137 , 44575 , 44875 are all three dcc because only one says dcc ...I have the 44575 so will this work with regular dc operation or does it still need to be altered

ABC

Bachmann makes 2 types of crossovers the standard ones that are ideal for DC use and the DCC turnouts.

For Example:
#6 Remote Crossover Turnout - Right
Product Information
Nickel silver track with gray roadbed; 1/box
Connects parallel tracks, allowing equipment with longer wheelbases to cross over smoothly and at higher speeds.
Price: $60.00
Product Code: 44576

Compared to:
E-Z Command® DCC #6 Single Crossover Turnout - Right (1/box)
Product Information
   * manual or DCC operation*
   * conforms to all applicable NMRA standards
   * compatible with all NMRA-compliant DCC systems
   * quick, easy installation and programming
   * no special wiring or control boxes needed
   * nickel silver rail and connectors
   * electrically wired frogs
   * clear tie spacing
   * low-profile spike heads
   * modeled from AAR track engineering dimensions
*not designed for DC-powered layouts
Price: $70.00
Product Code: 44138

full maxx

not to beat a dead horse but the 44575 and 44576 are plug n play with dc ...sorry but Christmas is only 48 hrs away and I don't want to fry an engine or a power pack and have to tell my little boy that it don't work

Joe Satnik

Dear Maxx,

For now, use only one power pack, one train running on both ovals.   

One train on each oval,  both moving in the same direction at the same time is possible, too, if your single power pack is strong enough.

Next step is either DCC (controller and a decoder in each loco), or isolation cuts on the crossover for DC block operation using multiple DC power packs and Atlas electrical switches. e.g. Atlas 205:

https://secure.atlasrr.com/mod1/itemdesc.asp?ic=0205&eq=&Tp=#

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.